12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 11:55 AM by Wayne Matus

Add or Rename File

Rodney Michels

Has anyone come up with a good workaround to stop users from rename a file that is a released file?  Here is our issue.  We want to allow users to be able to release drawings.  To do that, we have to check the option, "Add or Rename file" for that state.  While that state is Read Only for everyone, they have the rights to renaming these files and that sucks!

Hopefully I explained myself correctly.  I know I am not the first one to come in contact with this issue!

Rodney

• Re: Add or Rename File
          Wayne Matus

They should not need Add/Rename permissions for the Released state. They would only need Add/Rename for the initial state in the workflow. They would also need folder permissions to Add/Rename files.

Rodney Michels

If you dont give add or rename to a state, how are they going to move a file into that state? 

Jeremy Feist

being able to "add" a file to a state is controlled by the permissions on the transitions.

Wayne Matus

A state change does not actually move the file. It does not change the folder that the file is in, unless you are doing something special in the state change that moves the file to a different folder.

Rodney Michels

Guys, I guess I am not explaining myself correctly, or I dont have the experience like you do.  All I know is that if I want to be able to move a file into a state, if I dont have "Add or Rename file" checked, you will not be able to move a file into that state.

workflow.png

Wayne Matus

Are you saying that if a user transitions a file through the "Release to MA" transition to the MA state, he will get an error if he does not have "Add/Rename" permissions for the "MA" state?

Rodney Michels

Wow.  I guess I was wrong.  I gues I never really tested this, I just read it as I had to have it checked to move that file into that state.  OK, so I went back and remove the add or rename checkmark, please explain to me how the system was able to move the file into the MA State, without that checked?

Jeremy Feist

the file does not get moved - its state gets changed.

one way to look at is that the state is a property of the file. the wording of the workflow literature makes this a little hard since they keep refering to files "in" a state, but files never move decause of a state change (at least by default)

Rodney Michels

Again, I keep saying "move" and I dont mean that, I mean transition. 

So here is what I dont understand.  The initial State of "In Design", I have "Add or Rename file" checked, and when I save a file to the vault, and check it in for the first time, it checks in fine.  If I uncheck "Add or Rename file" on that initial state, save a new file to the vault and check it in, EPDM tells you, "The document does not meet the condition of any workflow."  This makes clear sense to me that this message would come up, because I dont have that option checked to "Add" it to that state.

Wayne Matus

I wish they would separate them into two different permissions.

Rename is self explainatory, to be able to rename a file in the vault you have to have Rename permissions for the state that the file is in and the folder that the file is in.

You have to have Add permissions to add a file to the vault or if you want to move a file to another folder in the vault. So the only time you need Add permissions is the initial state the file goes into when the file is first added to the vault. If you want to move a file to another folder, you would need Add permissions for the current state the file is in. You also need Add folder permissions for the folder that the file is move into if moved or the folder that the file was first checked into when the file is added the first time.

Rodney Michels

BAM!  Wayne, you are the man!  I totally understand this now.  Thanks SO MUCH for your help.  I will admit that working on these forums can be quit painful as I run into a communication barrier with other users, and I thought I was running into the same problem here, until you asked this question, "Are you saying that if a user transitions a file through the "Release to MA" transition to the MA state, he will get an error if he does not have "Add/Rename" permissions for the "MA" state?"

Thanks Again Bro!