1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 9:38 PM by Anthony Botting

Thermal Fatugue Analysis

William Turk

I’m new to fatigue analysis.  I want to see how having something outside, constantly heating up and cooling down, will wear out due to fatigue.  I am not varying a physical load, only the temperature.  Is this possible?  I have a thermal analysis and a static analysis with a temperature load.

• Re: Thermal Fatugue Analysis
          Anthony Botting

Yes. Normally, folks "couple" a thermal study to a static study, then the static study is fed into the fatigue study and cycled there. Assuming 'worst case' thermally-induced stresses occur at thermal equilbrium for the "hot" case, and another set of thermally-induced stresses occur at thermal equilibrium for the "cold" case (i.e., the zero-strain temperature is somewhere in between the two thermal extremes), you could do this:

Run the thermal analysis for heating up, then create a static study to read the temperature field. Next, create a thermal study for cooling down, then create a static study to read the thermal temperatures from the cooling down study. So you will have two static studies, one for each extreme. Then create a fatigue study and you can instruct it to use the results from both of the static studies and "cycle" them.  Hope that helps a little.

Tony B.