6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 9:56 PM by Todd Carpenter

Drawing Views How-To?

Todd Carpenter

Sorry if I missed this somewhere - but I haven't seen this in here (maybe I wasn't searching for the right thing?)...

I know in Pro/E (now Creo), I can attach a drawing view/detail view in the model - that way if it's position changes, the view will still show the correct detail in the drawing.  Is this possible in SolidWorks2011 Premium?

For example, I have a patterned assembly, with an attachment that can be placed almost anywhere within the pattern (any where from position 1 to position 20), and I need to show this detail within the assembly.

TIA

Todd

• Re: Drawing Views How-To?
          Scott McFadden

Todd,

I am thinking that between creating assembly constraints  and possibly assembly

cuts this might accomplish what you are asking for, but if you have an image example

that would be helpful for us visual people.

Todd Carpenter

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time, I forgot to add, we're trying to at least semi-automate this process by just creating the models and having the drawings follow along without any interatction - don't get me wrong, we're not creating drawings on the fly, just printing them off based on the assembly.  Below, you can see the different locations of the attachments:

DifferentLocations.png

Thanks again

Scott McFadden

Hi Todd,

Glad to help.  I used to use Pro-E (a while ago, but did for 6-7 years).

I think I am understanding what you are trying to do.  Have you looked

into configurations?  This would allow you to position components in different

positions suppressing sn unsuppressing mates.  Along with suppression/unsuppressing

components.  This would also allow you to choose which configs represent which views

in your drawings.

Todd Carpenter

Hi Scott,

I had actually thought of that, the problem with configurations is we'd have a huge amount of them to cover every conceivable combination.  That's our last ditch effort, but it may wind up being the only possible way.  I was hoping to attach a view to the incoming part, but I'm guessing this isn't possible...

Wayne Tiffany

Take a look at inserting a Relative view.  Search for Relative to Model View in the SW help.

The advantage of this is that as the part moves, the view will still capture it.  The down side is that the part you are tied to may be out in left field in the drawing, but at least it's still in the view.  Unfortunately the drawing view will not pan to keep the same size it started with - it grows to accommodate the new location.  But that may be better than not knowing where it is at all.

WT