AnsweredAssumed Answered

2008 FloWorks Thermal Simulation

Question asked by Mia Molfino on Sep 29, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 by Mia Molfino

I'm using FloWorks from within SolidWorks 2008.  That could be my first problem.  Here's what I have going on:

A plate with fins on one side (the outside) and heat generators (132W total) mounted on the other side (the inside).  A thin metal cover goes over the heat generators, enclosing that side of the plate, but a rubber gasket seals the juncture between the plate and the cover.  I am running an external analysis but not excluding internal spaces because I care about the heat conducted from the heat generators through the air and out the cover.  There will be air flow but I ran it without any at first and things seems to be getting exorbitantly hot when I expected more heat to be conducted away by natural convection.  Then I assigned an initial air flow condition and ended up with negative temperatures well below the ambient temp of 20C, which seems completely wrong.  Has anyone else ever had this experience?  I am currently in the process of testing out an even more simple model to try to wrap my head around what FloWorks is doing.

Any input is welcome.  Thanks!

UPDATE:  I added files for a very simplified version of the problem.  The other model was impractical to troubleshoot because it would take some 9 hours to run... which means I should probably adjust the mesh settings right?  Anyway, this one lacks a rubber gasket but I'm not too worried about it.  I noticed that it's the min fluid temperature that is dropping below ambient and not the min solid temp.  This is a little less disconcerting but still doesn't make sense to me.  I have ambient set to 20C and the min fluid temp comes out to be about 14C.  How is this possible?  

Attachments

Outcomes