12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 12:39 PM by Wayne Matus

Using Template to create Project Folder issue

Robert White

I have created a template that creates a folder structure within a particular folder; however, the 'Project Number' is a value that I need the user to type in and is set to be unique under the Vault Variable list.

When the user puts information into the template, all of the Client Info variables are mapped correctly and show up on the folder card and the Project Folder is named Project Number-Client as it should be.

If I enable the Project Number variable mapping on the Files and Folders section of the Template Wizard, (Select Project Folder ->RMB ->Properties->Copy Variables) then get out of the template and attempt to create a new project in the vault,  I get the following warning:

duplicatevalue.jpg

This results in the folders not being created.

I have tried not having the Project Number as part of the folder and this didn't change anything. Is there something special you have to do on the Template or Folder data cards to accept the value when the variable is 'unique'?

Also- the Vault variable is Project Number (SolidWorks out of the box settings), the Template variable is ProjNumber.

Thank you!

• Re: Using Template to create Project Folder issue
          David Mandl

I presume that you aren't using Project Number or ProjNumber for anything else, correct?

The other first thing I would look for to trouble shoot this would be to see whether you have any of your fields as "read only" in your template and/or folder card.

Robert White

Any additional suggestions? I'm uncertain as to what could be causing the 'duplicate' situation where it blanks out the variable completely.

Thanks!

David Mandl

I'm going to keep asking the stupid questions, if only because I've had more than one of those situations where I was missing something that was right under my nose:

For your new project folder, you are creating a sub-folder structure, correct?  In this sub-folder system, are you trying to use the project number variable in each sub-folder in addition to the top level folder?

If that's the case, then you would be trying to create multiple folders with the same value in the "project number" field in your data cards.  If that variable has the "unique values" box checked in the edit variables screen, then you aren't allowed to re-use the project number in multiple folder cards.

Robert White

David,

Thank you, you're correct. I have the following structure:

Vault\Projects\Projectxxxx

Under Projectxxxx I have several subfolders that I wanted to reflect the Project number (if possible).

You've noted that this situation creates multiple folders with the same number and is therefore not possible with the variable set to 'unique values'.

Ultimately, I want to prevent users from having the same project number for multiple Projectxxxx folders; however, I think I can live with only having the top folder (Projectxxxx) reflect the Project number and the subfolders neglect this detail (by not including the Project number variable on the folder card).

Thank you all!

Wayne Matus

There appears to be a bug in 2011 sp4. You should be able to have your folder data card where the default value of the project number variable read from the folder project number variable so that sub folders would have the same project number value.

folder data card.png

This does not seam to work with templates now where template also creates the sub folder.

To overcome this issue is to have your template also use your template variable for your project number for sub folders like it does for the top level project folder.

template.png