26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 10:11 AM by John Sweeney

2012 move toolbar bug

Matt Lombard

Is anyone else seeing a bug with 2012 pr1 where the software freezes if you try to drag a toolbar?

• Re: 2012 move toolbar bug
          Chad Rose

nope, mine seems fine. What's the conditions..large assembly? in drawing?

John Sweeney

Hi Matt,

Any chance you have IE 9.0 installed?  We reproduced an issue with IE9 and dragging toolbars which has been fixed in 2011 SP5 and SW2012 SP0.

Also mentioned in https://forum.solidworks.com/message/248398#248398 .

Thanks,

John

Matt Lombard

Yes, I do have IE 9, although I don't use it. Thanks for the answer.

John Sweeney

Hi Matt,

You can probably reproduce the issue in SW2011 SP4 and earlier too.  SW 2011 SP5 EV ("early visibility") is available for download now. The official 2011 SP5 should be ready for download in the next couple of weeks and the official SW2012 release (aka SP0 or FCS, "first customer ship") will be available a bit sooner.

If you still see the issue in SW 2011 SP5 or SW2012, please let us know.

Thanks,

John

Matt Lombard

SP0 appears to have fixed it.

Now how about the one where if you have a toolbar to the right of the commandmanager, opening a new document hides the FeaturemManager tabs behind the CommandManager tabs? Can you fix that one too?

John Sweeney

Hi Matt,

I'm glad to hear the hang is fixed.

The other "hidden Feature Mgr tabs" issue that you mention has been fixed in SW2011 SP5 and is planned for SW2012 SP1.  We didn't get the fix done in time for proper testing in 2012 SP0 so it didn't make SP0.  As I mentioned in a separate thread (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/241394#241394), we fixed the case which we could reproduce where the issue was related to having a toolbar visible in the top docking area when no docs were open.  When a document was subsequently opened or created we saw the issue if the CommandMgr was using the "No text" option.    Does that match your scenario?  If so, does your case fix itself if you turn off that particular toolbar or dock it elsewhere?

2011 SP5 Early Visibility is available now for download.  SP5-full release should be downloadable in the next week or two.

Best Regards,

John

Matt Lombard

Yes, thank you. The tabs bug is fixed if you don't put a toolbar to the right of the commandmanager or turn on the text with the commandmanager.

Looking forward to the rest of the fix in 2011 sp1. This was first reported in beta 2008.

John Sweeney

Hi Matt,

If you close all documents in SolidWorks, do you also have a toolbar docked along the top? 

Our fix was relatively generic, so hopefully all cases of this issue are fixed, but since we could not reproduce the issue as you describe above, I can't guarantee it has been solved.  I'd feel more confident if you tell me that you have a toolbar docked along the top when no documents open... 

>This was first reported in beta 2008.

Yeah... sorry about that.  We thought we had fully fixed the bug 1.5 years ago and didn't realize another workflow existed to cause the issue until your forum thread caught our attention (or someone talked to you at SW World, I don't remember which spawned our investigation again).  Hopefully it is solved now for good.

-John

Nicholas Hunter

Hi John,

I am having this problem with Solidworks 2012 SP 1.0, however I am running IE  8.0, do you have any thoughts on what the problem might be? I will try a re-install and see if that does the trick.

Thanks,

Nick

John Sweeney

Hi Nick,

Are you refering to the "hang" issue or the "tabs hidden" issue.  I assume its the hang since you mention IE8.... Can you give more details?  For example, is the CommandMgr visible and docked, where are you dragging the toolbar, which toolbars are showing, are add-ins loaded and do they have any toolbars showing, etc.?  Can you provide a snapshot of your current SolidWorks window before the issue occurs?

Thanks,

John

Nicholas Hunter

John,

You are correct, I am refering to the hang issue. The command manager is visible and it is docked, I first encountered the issue after I enabled routing. Since that has happened I have disable routing and restarted my machine. I am still getting the hang issue, dragging the toolbars in any direction has the same response. I installed SW 2012 this morning. (8 AM EST). I have yet to attempt the re-install. The screenshot below is what my window looks like prior to the hangup.

SWX_ScreenShot_1-12-12.png

John Sweeney

Hi Nick,

I set up my toolbars exacly as I see yours above... I don't have the "3D Connexion" toolbar which is seen to the right of your "Curves" toolbar because I don't have that 3rd party addin.  With my layout, I can't reproduce any hangs.  Two questions:

1. Can you try turning off the "3D connexion" addin and then restart SolidWorks to see if the problem still persists.

2. When you say it "hangs"... does it hang for a few seconds/minutes or does it never come back and you need to kill it?

Can you give me the exact steps for your toolbar drag action?  Which toolbar is being dragged and where does the positional preview show itself when you see the hang?

Thanks,

John

Nicholas Hunter

When I say it hangs, what I mean is , the move toolbar icon that your mouse changes to is locked and the toolbar is stationary. I cannot select anything else on the solidworks screen unless I click out of the window, alt+tab or minimize the solidworks screen. When I start solidworks, if doing nothing else except moving my cursor to move the toolbar it will lock up on me. Solidworks never freezes, it still responds and comes back instantly if I de-select from the solidworks window. This happens with any toolbar on the screen. After disabling 3d control, on some occasions if I select the sketch toolbar and drag it, select outside of solidworks, then select back in and move the toolbar again, I am able to move the sketch toolbar, but only that one, if I select another toolbar, the move icon will appear again and I am unable to select anything. I have uploaded a video on youtube of the issue, here is a link to the video: http://youtu.be/9NrJ1rSpEjE

Nick

Nicholas Hunter

Hi John,

Updated: The problem seems to have fixed itself. I have 3D control enabled and I am able to move the toolbars without any hangups. Since my last post the only changes I made were to disable all toolbars, and enable them one at a time. I restarted a few times, however I haven't been able to pin down anything that would have caused this issue. Thank you for the help and I will keep you updated if this problem occurs again.

John Sweeney

Hi Nick,

Glad to hear its working... If it happens again, try un-maximizing the document window using the "Restore" button in the top-right corner of the grahics screen.  Then see if the toolbar dragging still has issues.  This will help us narrow down the issue and eliminate any resizing issues that might be occuring in the document window and keeps all the issues constrained to the toolbars and docking frames of the main application window.

Best Regards,

John

Jonathan Smith

Hi Matt,

are you the author of:

"Solidworks surfacing and complex shape modeling bible"?

Roy Gilsing

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same hang issue when moving a toolbar.

Solidworks freezes for about 5 seconds, while showing the 'move toolbar arrows icon'.

I've been having this issue for a long while in SW2013 and now in 2014 it's still there.

I checked if I had IE9 installed, but I had IE11. I removed it anyhow but the problem remains.

I can live with the issue, but I'd rather see it solved since it is rather bothersome.

Regards,

Roy

Eric Salvo

I'm also experiencing this issue, but it is hanging up for 45 seconds every time I move a toolbar. This is an improvement from my old computer which would lock up for a full 90 seconds. I was hoping this issue would completely disappear with the new, much faster, PC though. IE9 is installed but disabled. Our IT guy said completely un-installing IE could be problematic, even though we are not allowed to use IE. We must use Firefox. We are currently running 2013 SP5 and it is not up to me when we move on to 2014.

Has anyone here been able to resolve this issue in 2013?

John Sweeney

Hi Eric,

True, you can not uninstall IE since SolidWorks requires it. The best bet may be to upgrade to IE 10 or IE 11.

Roy, I'm not aware of any generic problems remaining with toolbar dragging as its been a few years since we first had reports of this issue.  5 seconds is certainly annoying, but I believe the original issue was a true hang where SolidWorks wouldn't come back at all or at least hung as Eric is describing for upwards of 1 minute.  I'd be curious to see if there is anything unique about your machine or your configuration.  For example, do you have lots of toolbars displayed or do you have one or more add-in toolbars enabled?  Can you send a snapshot of your screen and/or a video of the drag operation that leads to the 5 second freeze-up?

Is anyone else seeing any signifigicant freeze-ups when dragging toolbars (ie: 2,3,4,5 seconds)?

Thanks,

John

Eric Salvo

John,

Thanks for the reply. Since I posted that, we installed Solidworks 2014 SP4.0 and I experienced the same issue. What I found, was that it had something to do with my settings (sldreg) files. After I uninstalled and reinstalled SW, it was working properly until I opened my saved settings which I normally do right away but forgot to do that time. I've essentially rebuilt the settings from scratch and it still performs very well with no freeze-ups. My old templates work just fine, it was only the settings.

Speculation: I think it may have had something to do with colors being assigned to certain entities from way back before Solidworks changed over from "Colors" to "Appearance", but I really have nothing to back that up.

Hope this helps someone else experiencing the same problem.

Edit: We are not allowed to upgrade past IE 9 at this time.

John Sweeney

Hi Eric,

Interesting.... do you still have the .sldreg file that reproduces the problem?  If so, then we can try to reproduce the problem in-house to find the cause.

Thanks,

John

Eric Salvo

Hi John,

Sure do. I just opened it to verify. Solidworks took a long time to open/close and froze when a toolbar was moved. Now it is back to normal with the new settings opened again. Let me know where to send the file. I'm curious to know what was causing the issue.

Thanks,

Eric

John Sweeney

OK, great.  The cleanest and safest route is to open a request with your VAR and send them the .sldreg file with the description you give above.  Since it is easily reproducible, it should generate an SPR request that we can investigate on our end.

Please pass along the SPR number once it is assigned...

Thanks for your time,

John