3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 2:33 PM by Karen Brunke

What does <HW-MSGNEARSIDE> do in the calloutformat.txt file?

Karen Brunke

I would expect <HW-MSGNEARSIDE> to add something like NEARSIDE to my callout, but it doesn't seem to.  Is it supposed to?  Is there a way to customize what <HW-MSGNEARSIDE> stands for?  Otherwise, why wouldn't they just say NEARSIDE?  This question really applies to all of the <hw-msgxxxxxx> callouts.

• Re: What does <HW-MSGNEARSIDE> do in the calloutformat.txt file?
          Robert Crawford

It appears to add the text 'NEAR SIDE' only in the hole callout tool.  (Insert>Annotation>Hole Callout)

When I insert <hw-msgnearside> into a standard dimension text box it doesn't insert the text 'NEAR SIDE', but just displays the command <hw-msgnearside> on the drawing.

Kelvin Lamport

The full callout for a clearance hole is;

<MOD-DIAM> <hw-diam> <hw-thru>

<HOLE-SINK><MOD-DIAM> <hw-nscsdia> X <hw-nscsang>, <hw-msgnearside>

<HOLE-SINK><MOD-DIAM> <hw-fscsdia> X <hw-fscsang>, <hw-msgfarside>

hw = Hole Wizard

ncs = Near Side Countersink

fcs = Far Side Countersink

msg = Message (guessing on this one but seems highly likely)

Why not just <NEARSIDE>?  That wouldn't be cryptic enough for the API coders.

Karen Brunke

I'm sorry.  I wasn't clear.  I have completely redone the calloutformat.txt for our internal stds.  I understand quite a bit about the abreviations and how to create a complex callout.  However, it makes no sense to me why you would make a variable like <hw-msgnearside> unless you wanted to be able set multiple values OR you wanted to make it easy for someone else to control its value.  If you just want to say NEARSIDE, you can just say NEARSIDE.  You don't need a variable.  It is less cryptic, and less typing.  They didn't make the "X" <hw-msgx>, so why did they make NEARSIDE into <hw-msgnearside>?  My hope was that they understand that their customers display things differently, so there was a separate file somewhere that allowed us to set the meaning of the variable.  This would be great since the calloutformat.txt file is huge and just a txt file.  If customer A wanted NEAR SIDE, customer B wanted NEARSIDE, and customer C didn't want anything, all I would have to change was the variable definition.  The responses so far tell me it isn't the case.  Another missed opportunity by SWX to make our lives easier.  Yes, I do know I can do a find/replace.