6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 11:41 AM by Larry Davis

Replacing Sketch Entity

Rhys Gardner

Hi guys,

I have a basic sketch with a line and and arc which is very early in my feature manager tree as it defines the body of my model. (Hence there is al whole stack of features attached to back end of it.

Through out the design process our client has decided thewy want to change the appearence of the design so that means my orignal 'arc' now need to be a spline (and a line for another concept). If i go into the sketch, delete the arc and add a spline i get a warning that other features many be effected. Now i need to work my way through every feature (many features) and redefine them.

Now i'm new to SW and love it, but am fearful that i can't replace that originall arc with a different entity (i'm talking about the references attached to it!) In Pro engineer there is a replace command the replaces the 'sketch entity' with the new one and this includes all the children and affected features now take on the geometry from the 'said arc and use the new spline' and hte fulle fully regenereates.

An solutions or even a work around that allows me to get out of this easier than running through every feature in the model and possibly in other models too and i'd be SO pumped.

Profesional designers face this issue all the time i'm sure! I'd love to know how it's tackled in SW.

Thanks again ALL

Rhys

• Re: Replacing Sketch Entity
          John Stoltzfus

Good morning Rhys,

Changing a profile in your sketch from either a line to a circle or in your case a arc to a spline leaves the following features hanging in mid air not knowing what they need to be tied to, in other words you have just broken all relations and you need to re-establish them.

This is what I would do, (however if I could see the part I might change my mind)

Suppress all the features and then open up the original sketch, keep the arc but turn it into a construction line, add your spline, exit that sketch and then one by one unsuppress your other features and make the appropriate changes.

Later,

John

Scott McFadden

Rhys,

What John said is right.  The only suggestion I would make is if you do go down the road

of changing it over would be to roll the feature tree back and repair it one feature at a time.

Another thought is look into the fit spline command and see if that brings any possible releief to what you are doing.

Fit Spline

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Rhys,

After reading Scott's response I thought of something else;

Don't make changes to your current part without saving a copy.  Go to save as and select the check box "Save as Copy" and re-name the file when saving, that way you always have the original to go to.

I hope the fit spline works for you,

Later,

John

Jerry Steiger

Rhys,

Sounds like Enhancement Request time.

I tried playing around with a simple model to see how the fit spline would work. I made a simple U with an arc and two lines. The extrude which was made from the sketch didn't have any problem when I replaced the arc by a fit spline or with a new spline. If I made a fillet that ran around the outside of the U by selecting one of the straight edges, then it didn't care when the arc was replaced by the spline, or even by a completely new spline. But a fillet which was made by selecting on the curve failed when the arc was replaced by either the fit spline or a new spline. So, if you knew ahead of time where you wanted to make changes, you might be able to make a fairly robust model. But you are probably screwed now.

Jerry Steiger

Larry Davis

"Replace Entity" functionality within a sketch is an example of a feature Solidworks needs to add if they want to play in ProE's sandbox. If you have a model with tons of advanced surfacing downstream (ok... it's Solidworks so perhaps I should just call it "surfacing"), it is not practical to have to repair a long tree of features every time an entity in a master sketch gets changed. It's a completely avoidable waste of time that would never occur in ProE. Shapes of products are tweaked mid-stream all the time and having to repair your whole model every time is a time suck.

The shame is that this seems like it would be quite easy to implement, as would the ability to recognize a negative sign in user input (if the software can recognize a tick mark in a "reverse" box, it should be able to interpret a negative sign). These functionalties have long passed the point of being "enhancement requests." It's more correct to say they are fundamental shortcomings that Solidworks continues to ignore, release after release.