3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2011 10:50 PM by John Burrill

Design Library Move

Keith Howard

First I hope I am placing this in the correct area.

We currently have our Design Library/Common Parts located in one of our project folders.We realize now that we should not have created the library in the current location. This due to the fact when this project is complete the customer will receive all the databases we have created and the project folders will be archived. So now we will be moving our Design Library/Common parts onto the network in the same area where the SolidWorks PDM Vault resides. When this moves occurs we realize we are going to have to edit the parts so that the common parts can be found by our assemblies. What I would like to know, is there an easy way to do this? I was hoping someone might have a macro or something that could help automate this process in some way. With that being said what is the recommended way to get this done as clean as possible? Now as I sit here and think about this we setup a mapped drive to the folder locations we put our common parts in, if I just change the mapping of the drive to the network location will this take care of my problem?

Also is there any advantage or disadvantage to putting the design Library/Common parts in the vault?

• Re: Design Library Move
          Jerry Steiger

Keith,

You should probably move this question, or ask it again, in the PDM section of the forum, either Workgroup or Enterprise, depending on which one you use. The folks there are more likely to give you an answer to your last question.

Check the "More Like This" box to the right for some earlier post that are probably of interest.

Jerry Steiger

Kenneth Barrentine

changing the map should do it.

your scenario is a great example of why mapped drives are more useful than UNC

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/218963#218963

or

add the new path in the search locations of Solidworks

tools> options> system options> file locations> referenced documents.

tools> options> system options> external references> search file locations for external references (checked).

John Burrill

ugh....OK, here's what you need to consider:

The problem you're describing of the part references going missing can be resolved in a horrible way by adding your library folders to the referenced files search path and then checking "search external folders for file references." 

The up side is that you now have one preferred locatoin for all of your library parts.  If someobody dumps a copy on their local drive, Solidworks will still go to the library component.

The down side is that Solidworks  is now going to look through every one of your design folders on the network for each component reference in your assembly.

Ofcourse as you save your work, the paths will update and at some point, you can turn off the search option and your assemblies will find their files....after every assembly has been opened and saved.  If you have a vault, this can complicate things.  If you've listed your library as a library folder in the vault....well, let me know if you're there cuz it can be fixed but it ain't pretty. 

Now, at my last job a slow network compounded the innefficiencies of this setup and resulted in very slow load and save times and system instability.

If you want to expedite the process, you'll need to take ownership of every file that references a library part, check each one out, open each one, save each one and check each one back in.

If you tell the vault to make a back-up copy of the latest version of every file (and you can turn it on after the face and it will generate the files), you can harvest the files from the vault enmasse.  Then you need to take ownerhship of all of the files.  The easiest way to do that is delete everyone from the vault except the administrator.  If you're using lifecycles, I suggest bumping every document to the same lifecycle status so that the revisions all bump uniformly.

Obviously, this can get pretty involved depending on your circumstances, so post us and let us know what you're trying to do.

So, from this I derive a simple philosophy.  If I insert it into an assembly or a drawing, it goes in the freakin vault.  I can handle a t-fitting with a revision a lot easier than I can a 500 part assembly that can't find the right version of it's part files.

Good luck.

John