3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 6:20 PM by Aaron Moncur

limited cpu usage during simulation

Steve Fiacchino

I am running a nonlinear simulation with shrink fit joints. the model has 50K degrees of freedom. I am running on a quad core processor with 8 gig ram with a windows 7 operating system. it doesn't seem to matter whether I am running a direct sparse or iterative analysis, my cpu usage is stuck between 20-30 percent and memory usage is 2+ Gigs. The majority of the task work being done is "solving contact constraints". Is there anything I can do to increase my CPU usage and hopefully solve quicker? I believe the computers potential is not being fully utilized. Thanks in advance.

• Re: limited cpu usage during simulation
            Steve Fiacchino

According to the discussion link, I should see a much higher cpu usage when solving with Direct Sparse. This is not ths case. I stillonly have 25-30% cpu usage and only 2G of the 8G memory being used. It seems most of the computation time is spend "soliving conact constraints" DOes anyone know why this step is essentially only using one core? Is it a linear process that can't use other cores? Is there a configuration parameter that can be adjusted? I have the solver affinity set to run on all cores already. task manager.png

• Re: limited cpu usage during simulation
                Aaron Moncur

Hi Steve,

I've run into this issue as well and it seems there really isn't much we can do about it.  Apparently SW Simulation cannot take advantage of mutiple cores (seems odd, but that's what I'm told).  Here's a response I got from my reseller when I asked the same question you are asking:

"The CPU / RAM usage isn't something you can adjust. The calculations are more CPU intensive than anything so the RAM usage is on an as-needed basis by the process. It's a single process that is apart from the SW process that is solving so you'll likely see it pegging a single core vs. consuming lots of RAM. This is not the case with Flow Simulation but the regular Simulation package doesn't have an ability to farm out the job to multiple cores / computers."

I see about the same as you in regards to resources being used: roughly 20% of CPU and 25% of RAM.  There have been 1 or 2 times when I saw it actually use more (~65% CPU and 70-80% RAM), but unfortunately I don't recall the specifics of the study I was solving at the time.  Also, "solving contact constraints" always takes the longest on my machine, as well.