3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 4:59 PM by Roland Schwarz

tilt force

Michael Ge

I am suppose to stimulate and show the effects of tilting of a solar panel. I have already created a model that shows tilting by using static stimulation. However, the problem with static stimulations is that the force on the solar panel is constant and the solar panel is constantly being pushed by the force and you have no idea how much the object is being tilted.

I need to figure out in SolidWorks how to show the miminal force that is nesscary to tilt an object. In other words, just as the effects of tilting is happening, I want solidworks to stop the stimulation and tell the user that tilting has happened.

My professor said this should be a nonlinear stimulation or some kind of transient analysis in solidworks.

please help me

thanks a lot

ps i have the hand calculations done already, but my professor wants me to do it in solidworks

• Re: tilt force
          Anthony Botting

Hi Michael:
          it appears you don't need elastic response, so you could use the rigid body analysis called "Motion Simulation" in SolidWorks. That way you can set up an actuator and obtain the reaction force throughout tilt angles. If inertia is a concern, you can run the simulation with assigned weights to the parts, and accelerate the panel through tilt angles. Good luck!

Richard Wehmeyer

If you are wanting to see when tilting "begins" then you are a little more interested in frictional effects (this can be input in a Motion Analysis as Anthony has suggested.  If you do not consider thee effects of friction then the solar panel will move no matter how small a force is applied (above that required to keep it stationary).  Again, this is not a case of structural stress but instead one of statics and dynamics.

typical value for friction:

metal-metal = 0.2

Roland Schwarz

If your professor feels the need to consult someone who lives closer to reality, have him contact me.

You may need such dynamic response if you are trying to keep the solar panels focused on a firefly.  However, at the slow speeds a solar panel moves, inertial effects are contained well within whatever safety factor one might build into a static structure.  You need enough force to hold the static position and only a skosh more.

You should be far more concerned about wind load.