0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 5:59 PM by Idris Traina

2D Simplification in SolidWorks 2011: Part 3 (Axi-Symmetric)

Idris Traina

Hello Dear SolidWorks Simulation Users,

During the last two weeks, my colleagues Marlon Banta and Hari Padmanabhan posted videos on 2D Simplification (2D Simplification in SolidWorks 2011: Part 1 & Part 2). They have covered Plane Stress and Plane Strain. Continuing this series, I am sharing an instructional video on the third type of 2D simplification: Axi-Symmetric applications.

Many models in real-life applications are completely or near completely symmetrical about an axis. The geometry of such models is represented by a cross-section revolved about an axis. The cross-section can contain multiple sections with different materials that belong to different bodies. Material, loads, fixtures, and contact conditions must be also axi-symmetric.

Instead of meshing the revolved 3D model, or a wedge of it, you can mesh any section generated by a plane that contains the axis of symmetry. The results on this section should be indistinguishable from the results on any other similar section. This allows you to solve the 3D problem using a very small fraction of the resources that are otherwise needed. Planar elements have only 2 DOF per node and the results are more accurate than solving the 3D problem since in 3D, there will be some variations in results (especially stresses) due to the nature of the mesh. When solving a 2D axi-symmetric problem, you can view the results in 3D and they will be perfectly axi-symmetric.

This posting completes the series of postings on “2D Simplifications”. I hope that you will find them useful and we look forward to your comments.

Thank you,

Idris Traina