20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2007 7:46 PM by Kevin Quigley

trimming a spline

I have had many headaches working with conics and splines in SW. I found that McNeel Rhino ($900) does a wonderful job and you can export the surfaces to SW.

on 2006 26 14:55 Stingray wrote:
      > This is nuts!!!
      >
      > Unless I am missing something, we cannot trim an offset spline?????
      >
      > How dumb is that?? I have been able to trim offset splines and other lines in
      > IDEAS and Pro/E and Microstation and even Impactxoft...maybe I am the only one
      > that can use this option, or maybe I just don't have the right training when
      > dealing with these issues...any helpful thoughts???
      >
      > Sorry, just needed to vent, yes I placed an enhancement request
        • trimming a spline
          Obviously they think we don't need these tools and will turn them off until they feel it is needed????
          What a joke.
          • trimming a spline
            No go. You cannot trim a spline offset from another spline in the same sketch, and you cannot add a Split Entities point to either the parent or the offset child without removing the Offset sketch relation.

• trimming a spline
              Use the split point tool to insert a point in the spline where you want to trim it. Then delete the side you don't want.
              This is the only way I've found to take a bit off a 3d spline.
              • trimming a spline
                I have also run into this issue and found it frustrating. Paraboli have other issues as well. SW2007 has also prohibited terminating a parabola at the vertex or otherwise creating geometric reference between the vertex and the end of the parabola and any other entity such as the origin of a sketch. This prevents creation of a axisymetrical parabolic bowl as a surface of revolution without leaving a hole in the center.

• Re: trimming a spline
                    Gerald Davis
                    Kenneth -
                    I made a parabolic bowl with fully defined parabola. I guess I'm not following your observation about axis symmetrical bowls?

kenneth davis * wrote:

I have also run into this issue and found it frustrating. Paraboli have other issues as well. SW2007 has also prohibited terminating a parabola at the vertex or otherwise creating geometric reference between the vertex and the end of the parabola and any other entity such as the origin of a sketch. This prevents creation of a axisymetrical parabolic bowl as a surface of revolution without leaving a hole in the center.

• trimming a spline
                    What happesn when you try? You should be able to trim offset and converted entites.

Jason
                    SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXp SP2
                    UG NX 2.0.2.2 on Win2000 SP3
                    • trimming a spline
                      Oh ..I see....I tried trimming an offset spline edge...not a sketch spline.

Jason
                      • trimming a spline
                        finished the download, and it's the same deal. if you manually delete the relation, you can trim it, but it won't allow you to trim an offset spline, even in pre-release. it's obviously intentional, they have a tooltip that comes up to break the news.
                        • trimming a spline
                          hmm. that's an improvement over beta4, but still a step backwards from 2006, although trimming offset splines has been pretty unreliable in 2006.
                          ...still downloading 1.6 Gb...
                          • trimming a spline
                            I was able to do it when offseting a spline edge....though trimming it deleted the offset relation. That's in 2007 PR1

Jason
                            • trimming a spline
                              I have trimmed offset splines (offset from existing geometry), but the trimmed end does not follow modified diemnsions. The little i have been able to try 2007 though, it seems it's been fixed.
                              • trimming a spline
                                Mark,

Trimming offset splines has been prohibited in 2007. You get a little tooltip that says "offset splines, parabolas and ellipses cannot be trimmed". a little frustrating.
                                  SolidWorks Corp
                                  Guys,

1) its intentional
                                  2) its a parasolid limitation
                                  3) we can do the same thing as rhino (just keep in mind that Rhino does not re-perimeterize or have dimensional or history modification)
                                  4) We don't have Conics yet in SW
                                  5) We are working to improve it in a future release.

Regards

Mark
                                    SolidWorks Corp
                                    Correction, its a D-Cubed limitation.

It has been reported by (many) customers before and is currently in our system as SPR 313597. It is our intention to address this bug in a future release

Regards
                                      • trimming a spline
                                        Paul Salvador
                                        So, is this covered in the annual subscription, retroactively?
                                        I mean really, shouldn't ALL the users who go off subscription and LOST this functionality get the update in the future!?!?!?!
                                        Seems fair to me?
                                        BTW, did the developer, D-Cubed, point the finger at Parasolid and then UG pointed it back at D-Cubed?
                                        And is/are we also limited in using Conics because of D-Cubed???

• trimming a spline
                                            Amy Heaton
                                            I have a comment on this issue.  Why would the inability totrim an offset spline be "intentional"?  We have adozen parts where a sketched spline is offset, then trimmed, andand used within a revolved cut feature (domes).  Our SW2004and SW2005 parts all have the same sketch and work correctly. Today, I attempted to create a new part, in the samemanner and the functionality has been REMOVED.  This is not alimitation that needs improved upon in a future release, but aregression of functions that used to be available.  JMHO
                                              • trimming a spline
                                                Charles Culp
                                                I run into this problem all the time.  I have a very easysolution.  Delete the reference, then re-reference your newspline as needed.   I know, it is no loner parametric,although with new constraints you can make it very close. Although, if you are using splines, it is not an exactdimension to begin with, is it?

You can rant on my technique all you want.  Maybe if you workfor a large company, and have half a dozen people editing the modelthey might get confused.  As I am the only one who works on mymodels, I can remember that the offset spline isn't actuallyoffset, but dimensioned from the previous spline.

I guess it's just me, but I do it ALL the time.  I use SW tocreate very complex organic shapes, and I often blow away relations(and then build new ones, sometimes) to get SW to model what Ineed.
                                                  • trimming a spline
                                                    Sean Collins
                                                    For lack of a better place, are there any techniques available in SolidWorks that allow one to fix the length of a spline (like pro/E's perimeter dimension) and then drive the shape through other sketch relations?
                                                      • trimming a spline
                                                        Charles Culp
                                                        Sean,

Check out this macro written by John.  It is not exactly whatyou are looking for, but may help.

http://forum.solidworks.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=3247
                                                          • trimming a spline
                                                            Kevin Quigley
                                                            I have to say I do find SW handling of splines very limitedcompared to most other 3D apps these days. My response to saying"its not handled by D-Cubed or Parasolid" is "wellwrite an enhancement that makes it". On this basis this meansthat Unigraphics NX, SolidEdge, etc don't handle conics? Is thisreally the case. How can NX compete without conics?

Personally if I was licensing a module that had, what, 500,000commercial users I would have a bit of influence in what getsdeveloped and what doesn't.

Its odd that a minnow like Ashlar-Vellum can have full on conics,and superb spline handling, and still have D-Cubed constraintsapplied if needed, with full associativity to the conic. Hmmmm.