8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 4:35 PM by Robert Jost

Measure Tool Anomalies

Robert Jost

Hi Everyone,

Have you ever used the Measure Tool and not received the result you were expecting? 

I realize the Measure Tool has been discussed before; however the feedback we are looking for this time is a little more visual. If you have a chance, please post a screen shot of any unexpected results the Measure Tool may have given you.  Also, please let us know what the expected result was.

Thanks,

Rob

SolidWorks Product Definition

• Re: Measure Tool Anomalies
          Tom Helsley

Okay, I have one...

A while back, I wanted to measure the angle, relative to the Front plane, between the axes of two holes which weren't co-planar (see attached files).  No matter how I changed the selections or what planes, the angular measurement never changed.  The only way I could get an accurate measurement was to create a sketch.  I don't know if this is a bug, or if I am missing something, but because of things like this, the measure tool is not very reliable.  I investigated a bit further, and found some interesting results (see attached PowerPoint file).  This points out the need for a couple things...

1. An indicator that the angle measurement is not direct (the lines are not co-planar).
          2. When picking a plane to measure relative to, it needs to show the correct angle.

I have some other examples of different types of measurement problems, but I have to search for them and simplify them for communication purposes.  If I can find them, etc. I'll try to post them.

Robert Jost

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, it seems the problem is that the angle measurement is not projecting.  Noted on the need to display an indicator as well. 

Your work around of using a sketch is a common one for this type of situation.  Do you have any other situations in which you needed a sketch in order to get the correct measurement?

Thanks,

Rob

Walter Fetsch

Robert,

Please don't take the lack of response to be an indicator of user satisfaction.  I've had tons of problems with the measure tool, but simply don't have any examples to give you.  I'll definitely post something next time it happens.

Thanks for asking!

Walter

Nick Goodrum

Robert,

Just had this problem yesterday...check out the pic's below...

I wanted to measure the MAX distance from the tool plate Face1 to the tip of the spring plunger.

Options Center to Center, Minimum Distance and Maximum Distance all returned the same exact results.

I had to create a sketch and convert entities to get my measurement. I know there's other ways also such as putting a plane on the quadrant of the plunger parallel to the tool face but these work-around's shouldn't be necessary should they?

Regards,

NG

Walter Fetsch

Here's a problem that I run into from time to time.  I've sketched two arcs and want to know the separation between them at the widest point.  When I use the measure tool and set it to maximum distance, it gives me the distance from the lower quadrant of the lower arc to the upper quadrant of the upper arc, which is not at all what I need.

untitled.PNG