3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 9:18 PM by Jerry Steiger

Does Anyone Use Sketch Contours?

Josh Tiffin

I've been thinking about using them more after seeing a model that used them quite effectively.

1. Does anyone use them often in their day to day design activities?

2. What are the cons to using them?

3. What are the pros to using them?

Our company has recently picked up Matt Lombard's 3 books (Parts, Assemblies, and Administration) and sketch contours aren't recommended except for quick and dirty concepts. Are the situations where they are useful few and far between?

• Re: Does Anyone Use Sketch Contours?
          Charles Culp

He claims instability, but I haven't necessarily seen that. I typically avoid them just because it keeps the design intent clear and concise. I would claim that if you have a good use for them, go ahead.

Lenny Bucholz

As a SolidWorks instructor and long time abuser before instructing I agrre with Charles, it's not that it causes crashes or errors, it's that down the road if someone else has to modify the parts and has never used the selected contours they will have the stabibility problems in there own mind.....like WTH did that so-n-so do to make that feature..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all all at the same time!

Jerry Steiger

Josh,

I tend to agree with Matt. I do a fair amount of surfacing and find that Trims are the most unstable features. I think a good part of that instability has to do with the fact that you have to select which bits to keep or throw away by picking in the graphics window. Sketch Countour suffers from the same necessity, so I shy away from it. Since I don't use it, I don't have any stories to tell about how it failed.

I also agree with Charles and Lenny that clarity of design intent is best served by separate sketches.

Wow, I agree with Matt, Charles and Lenny. Who'd have thunk?

Jerry Steiger