10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 3:21 AM by James Moynagh

Spring Assembly in Drawing

James Moynagh

Hi All,

Have a question to do with springs. I've done a drawing off an assebly which has a spring in it. I've modelled the spring so that when I move certain parts it compresses/depresses. As a result I have 3 configerations in my assembly with the sring in different states off compression, there is no issue with the spring not resolving in any off the configerations. My issue is on the drawing off the assembly. (Attached below). Basically the spring on all three drawings will only show as per the configeration saved in the model, as you can see this causes an issue on the view on the right.

What can be done to fix this or will I have to model another spring in to get this view correct?

• Re: Spring Assembly in Drawing
          Scott McFadden

James,

What you are probably going to need to do is for as many config representations

you need to show in your drawing, have that many configs in your assembly.  Then

in the drawing RC on the view and select properties then select the proper config

for that particular view.

James Moynagh

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. The issue is on the drawing I have selected the different configerations for each view. If you look at the view on the left the red piece is pulled back 35mm, while on the other two views this piece is sitting up against the yellow piece. But the spring is been shown on all 3 views in the same position as though red is up when on the view on the left the red is pulled back and the spring should be back to suit.

Scott McFadden

James,

I understand, but you are going to have to adjust the parts either

with different lengths of the spring as it sounds like you already have setup or

with dimension value adjustments.

Hope this makes sense.

James Moynagh

The spring length is controlled externally by the position the red sleeve is in. So when I move it up or down the the spring length changes. And this works perfect in the assembly but on the drawing for some reason the spring is only shown as per the current assembly no matter what configuration is on the drawing.

Scott McFadden

I am sorry if I misunderstood you.  I reread your opening post and I originally

thought you had 2 configs of the spring.  One free state and one compressed.

With that I thought that it was a simple config representation change in the drawing.

Now rereading what you wrote it looks like you have a simulation of your assembly creating motion

of the spring.  Is that correct?

James Moynagh

Scott,

I've attached the assembly and drawing below.

Wayne,

That's what I was asking, do I need to have a second spring in my assembly. On the drawing all the springs are shown in the configuration that the model is saved as. If it is then to me this is a bit off a flaw. If the rest off the model can come through even if not shown in the active configuration then so should the spring. I did have to add special mates on some configurations to make them work.

Scott McFadden

James,

After opening up your model my first thought is that you should create your spring

using the helix and spiral command instead of the sweep. 

spline.jpg

This way you can have a dimension

associated with the spring height.  Then insert that height dimension into a design table to create the

heights you need.  Then in the assembly create the three different configs representing the three different

spring heights.

And in the drawing insert your three views, RC on the views and and change them to the proper config.

This should work for you.

Wayne Tiffany

James,

"If the rest off the model can come through even if not shown in the active configuration then so should the spring."

You kind of missed the point.  Your spring only has one config and the definition of how to build that spring in that one config keeps changing.  The other parts work fine because you are not changing the definition of them, only the position of them in the assy.  What you built works fine for development but has the limitation that you are seeing.  A part config can only be one thing at a time.  To do what you want to do in the drawing you have to allow the spring part to have and store more than one definition and that can't be done with only one part with one config.

Take a look at Scott's process and understand what he is telling you along with my explanations.  Then decide how you want to go forward.

James Moynagh

Wyane/Scott,

I decided yesterday to use two springs for, one for each state and this has worked out for the drawing. I am aware off the option off using a helix for the spring, i've used it before, but I might just try as you suggested Scott to see how it works out. Cheers fo all the help on this issue.

Wayne Tiffany

Think about it this way.  In the assy you have told the spring to follow the other parts and do a proper representation based on the position of those parts.  As you change configs of the assy, the parts move and the spring rebuilds accordingly.  While in that mode, you only have one config of the assy active at a time, therefore the spring only has to rebuild to one current position of the parts.  This is great for that assy.

But now in the drawing you  want to show the assy parts in three positions all at the same time, but yet the spring only has on config.  Which position of the assy parts does the spring config rebuild to match?  It can't match all three at the same time so it picks whatever the active config in the assy is dictating.  You will see the same thing if you put three of these assy's into another assy and try to show all three versions at the same time.

So, create some special configs for the drawing where the spring has three configs.  That way each config of the spring can react and rebuild to the proper positions of the assy parts and be there all at the same time.

WT