4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 10:40 AM by Brian Dalton

Can Templates be Accessed from Within SolidWorks?

Brian Dalton

We have 3 different numbering systems for different types of design items (Tooling, Product, Purchased) and each type needs to go into its own folder in the vault.  I can handle this situation well using Templates, but it seems that they are only accessible from the Windows Explorer interface.  My users would like to be able to create new files from within Solidworks as well (using File->New) they way they always have.  The problem there is that SW can only be pointing to one 'Serial Number' at a time, so there is no way to specify that a part is tooling or product or purchased when creating or saving it from within SW.

If there is a way to add menu items to the SW file menu that activate the EPDM templates I've created, that would solve my problem, but so far I haven't been able to find one.

• Re: Can Templates be Accessed from Within SolidWorks?
          Raghavendra Bhagwan

Brian,

I think you can achieve this.

1. Please store the templates in a folder on the users machine.
          2. Change the file locations to use these templates in SolidWorks,tools, options, change the type by document templates, Browse the folders.
          3. Upon adding this, Click on File>New> Click on the advanced tab in the window. And the added tempates should list there.
          4. When user double clicks it. Based on the file template it will generate the serial number.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Raghav.

• Re: Can Templates be Accessed from Within SolidWorks?
              Brian Dalton

I'm not referring to file templates such as are normally used by SW, ie XX.PRTDOT or XXX.ASMDOT.  These are simply prototype files that are not specifically related to or linked to EPDM.

What I'm talking about is what EPDM calls 'Templates', which are in fact programmable routines creatable within EPDM that allow for the automation of creating new CAD files, the use of input forms called 'Template Cards' which are driven by 'Template Variables' and which associate a particular 'Serial Number' component with a specified file folder, all accessed by means of custom menu items that are available only from a context menu within the Windows Explorer interface of EPDM.  My hope is that there may be some way for these custom menus to be made available within SW possibly by appending them to the existing SW menu structure.