3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2018 12:02 PM by Dan Anderson

Animation Wizard - Explode or collapse incorrect part spacing and duration results

Steve Kunz

Topic: Motion Studies, Animation Wizard, Explode or Collapse

Assistance is welcomed!

Description of undesired results:

1. After an exploded view sequence is generated in a SW assembly model a new motion study is created next. When the Animation Wizard menu is selected and I check off either collapse or explode two incorrect and undesired results occur. The first result I notice is that the spacing and or distance between the exploded components increases dramatically a much different result then what was set-up in the models exploded view. The second common result is that whenever you select a custom shorter time duration for the exploded or collapse results in the animation not completing the entire explode or collapse sequence.
      2. Assistance/Help is looked for to enable the desired exploded or collapse part spacing in an Animation Wizard results. If there is a work around or SP that corrects this that would be ideal.
      3. For the Animation Wizard are there setting methods that allow for the explode or collapse to finish in a shorter time frame?

I will appreciate any input, suggestions or tips for the above-

Using SW 2011 SP4 at the time of this topic

• Re: Animation Wizard - Explode or collapse incorrect part spacing and duration results
          Deepak Gupta

Steve I'm not sure for the error on the spacing thing as I've never observed it or better to say never checked it. Can you try it on different files and check. What is the possibility of sharing your files to check.

For the time thing, after you have done with animation wizard, select all the keys and drag them to left side with either of shift or alt button (heck I can't remember exactly which button). The whole animation time will get shorten.

• Re: Animation Wizard - Explode or collapse incorrect part spacing and duration results
            Greg Castaldi

This is probably because you have multiple exploded views in the current configuration. 

I just had the same problem and realized that I had two different exploded views in my default configuration.  Got rid of one.  Worked like a charm afterwards.

Dan Anderson

There are still problems with this feature in SW 2018. If I create an exploded view of a simple hinge via a new, single configuration, I can set rotation to a certain angle. Upon exiting, I can choose "explode" or "collapse" and see the configuration exactly as I set it up.

HOWEVER
              If I choose "Animate Explode" from the right click menu in config manager, it will often generate erroneous results. Typically, the end rotation direction is the opposite direction of what it should be. Choosing the non-animated "explode" gives me the correct end position, "animate explode" does not.

The Implication here is that the Motion Study Animation Wizard will replicate these faulty results. When contacting SW about this, they told me to manually manipulate the model in Motion Study to correct the end position error. Exporting an explode to eDrawings or Visualize is a royal pain.

TLDR; Inaccurate Explode Animations is a major bug that SW has chosen to not fix in at least 5 years.