11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 12:09 AM by Eric Stocker

Read only file on save

Ray Luck

Hi,

Our VAR suggested we upgrade our EPDM to 2011 SP4 (from SP3) to try and fix file viewing issue.

Since the update, whenever we save a file it is saved and converted to a read only file. What is strange is that I can restart my computer, create a new part file and save it to the desktop and it is still read only. I do not have to login to EPDM and hence the file is not renamed or altered.

I tried uninstalling EPDM from my machine, new part in SW and save - file is fine.

Reinstall EPDM and back to square one - All new files whether in or out of the vault are read only.

I should point out that 'read only' is while the file is open in Solidworks. So if I press save twice, the second time it will prompt me for a new file name (and that file will be read only). If I open the saved file from the desktop or EPDM it is no longer read only in SW.

Anyone had any similar issues with EPDM SP4.0?

Cheers,

Ray.

• Re: Read only file on save
          Eric Stocker

Hi Ray,

I have seen this in EPDM 2011 SP4 also. I was running Windows XP sp3 (x86) and SolidWorks 2009 sp5.1 at the time.  I found that the EPDM Addin was contributing to the issue.  If the addin is disabled, the "Read Only" problem went away.  This workaround was not good enough for us, so we are still running EPDM 2011 sp3.1.

We recently upgraded to Windows 7 x64 and SolidWorks 2011 sp4.0 (with EPDM 2011 sp3.1), every now and then we come across an error where "the Read Only flag cannot be set" while checking out a file (through the addin), however a SolidWorks restart seems to fix this temporarily.  I will have to test again with EPDM 2011 sp4.0.

Cheers,

Eric

Ray Luck

Hi Eric,

Yes it appears that the problem is related to the addin. I get the same results as you did. If I disabled the Addin, everything is fine. I found that if I use the default Solidworks templates I do not get the read only issue (with addin on) but as soon I customise the the templates, the read only issue comes back.

It is very frustrating. At the moment we are having to make do with saving, closing then reopening the file.

Cheers.

Ray.

Wayne Tiffany

I'm seeing the same thing here on SW2012 & SEPDM 2011 SP4.  I opened a bulk material template, saved to a network drive outside an Enterprise vault, and with the SEPDM add-in enabled, the saved part is read-only - you have to save it again over the top of it to fix the problem.

Has anyone turned this in as an issue yet?

WT

Ray Luck

Hi Wayne,

Our VAR has logged it.

SR 1-2226419991 (VAR SR# 7568)

We have been doing some testing with our VAR and are in the process of installing a new machine with a clean OS and SQL. The idea is to replicate the existing vault to see if we can reproduce the same error.

We hope to get this finished and tested sometime this week.

I will keep you updated.

Cheers,

Ray.

Wayne Tiffany

I suspect you don't have to replicate a vault - just have SEPM installed.  Turning off the add-in and that stopping the issue leads me to think that the vault is irrelevant.

WT

Ray Luck

At this stage we're using process of elimination. We formatted a computer and installed fresh copies of SW and EPDM and connected it to the the vault and still had the same errors. Yes, turning the add in off stops the problem and also using the default SW templates stops the problem issue but our VAR wants to make sure there is no corruption on the SQL server.

Wayne Tiffany

Notice that I opened a channel template file from our Z: drive and saved it to the X: drive.  So neither of those locations is related to a SEPM vault - the only connection to SEPDM is the add-in.  You might see if you can duplicate that kind of scenario on your end as a way to separate out the players.

I even tried making the channel template file not read-only to see if that made any difference - nope.

WT

Ray Luck

Hi Eric/Wayne,

What sort of information do you have in your templates? We get inconsistent results so it's hard to point to one thing but there is a scenario which guarantees a read only file. If we use our bend table and the EPDM add in with any template we always end up with a read only file.

Is it only with part files? Our assembly template files seem to be okay.

Also, I have replicated this issue using SW 2012 SP1 and EPDM 2012 although we are still using SW 2011 SP5 and EPDM 2011 SP4.

Cheers,

Ray.