4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 6:44 PM by Jerry Steiger

Simulation Static Consultant

Aaron Moncur

Hi,

I am looking for an individual (assuming a company's prices are more than I want to pay) who is proficient with SW Static Simulation and willing to provide consulting on an as-needed basis. Every now and then I run into obstacles I can't answer on my own and it would be great to have someone to turn to in such times. I'm open to negotiation on price. Please let me know if interested.

• Re: Simulation Static Consultant
          Mamdouh Ekladious

would describe the issue you have and i will try to work out with you.

Aaron Moncur

Hi Mamdouh,

One thing I'd like help with is understanding how the specific fixtures can be applied to different situations.  For example, the advanced fixture for cylindrical faces provides options for rotation about the axial, radial, and circumferential directions.  I understand how something can rotate about an axis, but how can a body rotate about a radial or circumferential direction?  It doesn't make sense to me, since neither describe discrete axis. 

More than that, though, I'm looking for someone who can provide general support on an as-needed basis whenever I have other questions.  We can just do a web meeting to go over the questions.

Anthony Botting

Hi Aaron: It appears for this case, the PM is referring to the degrees of freedom of the individual nodes. Apparently you have shell elements instead of solid elements on this particular geometry. Shell elements have both rotational DOF and translational DOF, whereas solid elements only have translational DOF. (i.e., the "Rotation" panel will not display in the PM if the geometry is using solid elements). Your VAR (SolidWorks reseller who sold your company the software) provides arguably the best value for "as-needed" support. Typically they have several staff members certified on the software, and I believe all of the VARs use an "on-demand" web/internet support tool, where they can view your screen while you're speaking to them on the phone. They charge a retainer fee, for what they call "subscription", which varies from about $110/month on-up, depending on the products you have purchased, but you have to pay it annually. A private consultant might charge over $100 per incident, so the VAR option is a pretty good deal. Good luck.

Jerry Steiger

Aaron,

I haven't tried using SW Simulation subscription support, but I know that Ansys support was happy to give users a few hours a month of support on either the software or your particular analysis, but once it went beyond that they would start charging for the analysis support. If you use too much of their time on software support, then they would strongly suggest buying some training and I suspect they would eventually stop answering questions if you didn't get it. As Tony suggested, talk to your VAR and find out what they offer.

Jerry Steiger