1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 6:27 PM by Jerry Steiger

Crimping steel eyelet

Satish Potineni

I have a problem which I am not able to figure out the correct way of solving.

See attached picture. I am using 2D simplification. It is a circular assembly.

The component in violet color is the steel eyelet being crimped on a plastic (orange color). The purple color component on the bottom is pushing (2.5mm) into purple on the top to give it shape of the top purple. I have contacts between top purple and the eyelet as well.

I am doing non-linear using Force NR method. Left everything else the same in the properties. When I solved this problem, the solver is stopping right when it touches the top purple. I am not able to figure out how to bend this steel part. This is how the assembly process is in the plant. I am beginning to think that I am missing something.

Any help in this aspect is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Re: Crimping steel eyelet
          Jerry Steiger

Satish,

I'm not familiar with SW Simulation, but I know that the Ansys solver would have an easier time if you move the punch a given distance, rather than push with a given force. I suspect that the same holds true for SW.

It may also may make it a little easier to follow what is happening if you move the top punch down, rather than move the bottom punch and the parts being assembled up. It doesn't change the forces or stresses, just makes it easier to see what is going on in the parts.

Jerry Steiger