6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 5:20 PM by Scott McFadden

Student Version and Proffesional Version

Jerry Lopopolo

Can I install and run on one computer a student version and a proffesional version of solidworks? I need the student version for a class I am taking. The instructor will not accept drawing created in the proffesional version. I need the professional version for drawing created for work.

• Re: Student Version and Proffesional Version
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Jerry.

Yes you should be able to run them but make sure you keep templates files and other settings on different location. It'll be better to install them in separate drive.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference

Jeff Holliday

It should be possible as long as you be careful during installation. I would suggest that you install the student version in a directory named differently from the Professional version and that you maintain different file locations for any files which may be common between the versions (Templates, BOM tables, etc) so there is no confusion. This is similar to what people do to maintain different year-versions on one computer.

I would make a guess that a main reason the instructor wants the work done in the student version is that he/she may be worried about the versions not being the same. SWorks (and most 3D software) is not backwardly compatible. That is, if your Pro version is SW2011 and the Student version is SW2010, the instructor would not be able to directly open a file you created in SW2011. SW2010 files can be opened in SW2011, but not reversed. Also, once opened in SW2011, the file would be saved to that version and not useable in SW2010 again.

Jerry Lopopolo

Ok thanks for the information. I thought I might have a problem with serial numbers. I had an educational version that was going to expire and I installed the Pro version. I told it I wanted a separate installation, but after installing the Pro it came up as a student version. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the Pro and things worked fine. I need to install the Educational version for classes this fall and just wanted to make sure I was not going to run into problems.