AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to move a library location and re-reference assembly components in virtual assemblies

Question asked by Daen Hendrickson on Sep 1, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 by Daen Hendrickson

I am using SW2011 with SP3.

I created an assembly. Within that assembly I created some virtual (saved internally) subassemblies to manage brackets and fasteners. One of the components in a virtual subassembly is a library fastener.

I would like to move the location of this library fastener in our library folder structure. Of course moving it will break the reference SW uses to find the part. I am trying to discover a way to edit/modify the reference.

I clicked the references button on the File Open dialog but it does not show references to the items inside the virtual subassemblies.

I tried a replace, but SW won't let you replace a component with another one of the same name.

I tried dragging and ALT-dragging the component out of the virtual subassembly into the top level, but SW keeps telling me the drag failed.

Short of dissolving all of my virtual subassemblies to move the fasteners to the top level, is there any way to modify the references?

Thanks, Daen

Outcomes