6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 9:39 PM by Derek Hewitt

Opening Autocad DWG file and saving it to STEP?

Derek Hewitt

I tried to open my dwg woth Solidworks by choosing first "create new Solidworks drawing" and then "convert to Soldworks entities" and I got some errors with both and was unable to open it. Then I tried to open using "import to a new parts as 3D curves or model" and it seemed to work. Then I saved it to STEP 214 and re-opened in Solidworks and Solidworks asks: "Do you wish to run import diagnostic on this part?" and then "Do you want to proceed with feature recognition?". What should I choose?

Also, there was a circle pointing out thread location in my dwg as you can see, but after saving to STEP and re-opening the STEP file, the circle was gone. How should I mark the thread centerpoints/locations in CAD to the dwg so that Solidworks includes them in STEP file too?

Reason I need STEP conversion is that our machinist says he prefers it so he can see the measurements directly from the 3D drawing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

• Re: Opening Autocad DWG file and saving it to STEP?
          Anna Wood

What CAM software is your machinist using?  If we know that we can help give a better answer.  Be specific, such as MasterCAM X5 or CamWorks 2011, etc.....

In AutoCAD, File > Export and select ASIC (sat) for the File Type.

You will need to select what you wish to Export.  I just did a window select of the object.

In SolidWorks, File > Open and select ASIC (sat) for File Type.

Be sure when opening in SolidWorks to select the Options button in the File Open dialog box.  There are a lot of settings there that you can adjust.

Just select Cancel/No if you do not wish to do feature recognition or import diagnostics.

You will need to put the hole in the model.  The sketch point will not translate to your step file.

Save As a step file.

Cheers,

Anna

Derek Hewitt

Thanks for the reply. Seems to work pretty much the same as "import to a new parts as 3D curves or model" option.

One problem though. All the measurements are now showing as "in" (inches I guess), rather than "mm" as they appear if opening the DWG file with "import to a new parts as 3D curves or model" option. How can I display the measurements in millimeters? In SW document properties I've choosen "Overall drafting standard" to be ISO.

Anna Wood

Select a part templete that is metric units as opposed to english units.  Or just change the units of measure under Document Properties in SolidWorks.

Be sure you have defined units in your AutoCAD file and it is not set to Unitless.

What CAM software is your machinist using?  If we know that we can help give a better answer.  Be specific, such as MasterCAM X5 or CamWorks 2011, etc.....

The part is simple enough why not just model it in SolidWorks to begin with.  Or are you required by your customer to work in AutoCAD?

Derek Hewitt

I have "unit system" as MMGS and "drafting standard" as ISO. I've also set units to metric and millimeters in Autocad. As I said this problem doesn't appear if I save to DWG in AUtocad and then open that DWG in SW and save to STEP.

I think I will just do the way I did earlier as the result seems to be the same and I get the proper milimeter units too.

I don't know that, I have to ask tomorrow (it's night time in here).

I have more complex parts I need to do and I'm more comfortable working with Autocad, the STEP files are only for the machinist.

Anna Wood

Derek,

You will want to check to see if your machinist can read native SolidWorks sldprt files or parasolids besides just iges or step.  Depends on his CAM program.

I will make an observation....   You will never get comfortable with SolidWorks if you do not use it on the tough parts.  We have all been in that boat.  Dive in the water is fine..... 

Cheers,

Anna

Derek Hewitt

He has Solidworks so he can use all files SW supports. I tried to open .sat in SW, then save as sldprt and then opening the sldprt again in SW and I got some new problems when pressing "ok" to the "Do you wish to run import diagnostic on this part?" question and the software couldn't perform that and I had to skip it.

Yeah I know that, but if I can just use SW to convert the files then I will save a lot of time