Our client is a technology business that designs and manufactures marine turbines to generate renewable energy from tidal and ocean current. The company's vision is to deploy farms of marine turbines under the world's oceans - silently and invisibly generating electricity at no cost to the environment. This US-based company has received multiple awards and global recognition for its innovative and market-leading technology. These roles are key positions within the company.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Detailed Design
- Responsible for detailed design, drafting, GD&T and configuration management
- Responsible for processing the design (BOM, Documentation records, materials) through the Engineering Change Management system (Design for Manufacturability, Cost impact reviews).
- Responsible for prioritizing and assigning tasks (Work Breakdown Structures) and facilitating workflow within the structures group to meet department / organization / company goals and project schedules.
- Responsible for design (requirement specifications, CAD models, drawings, bill of materials, procedures) through the internal tollgate process (Conceptual Design, Preliminary Design, Detail Design, Design Validation, Product Introduction).
- Numerical Analysis
- Responsible for structural mechanical, vibrational, thermal analysis, and dynamics as well as interpretation / implementation of recommended analyses results and making own design recommendations based on sound engineering principles. Design and develop multi-physics models or simulations using advanced computer programs and analytical techniques to meet requirements and resolve problems. Demonstrated experience with Free body diagrams, structural analysis computer codes including the ability to prepare input, perform analyzes, and interpret results. Determine and ensure that the proper controls for analyzes are in place and that supporting evaluations and analyzes are documented. Verify engineering work of, and provide technical guidance, training, and direction to others.
· Participate on project teams in the preparation of technical descriptions /sections, calculation notes, including cost benefit studies for proposals, contracts, licensing, and safety documents, and publish related reports for customer and approvals.
- Responsible for providing support on engineering dispositions on hardware non-conformances.
- Responsible for sustaining engineering support for on-going Root Cause Analyses.
- Responsible for mentoring mechanical design to other employees.
- Responsible for performing peer reviews and presentations.
- Report weekly group progress status.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum of 5 years of mechanical engineering experience
- 10,000+ hours SolidWorks experience (5 years equivalent)
- Design experience with AISC code, ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- Detailing experience with Machining, Casting, Offshore Structures
- Proficiency with one of the following FEA software: ANSYS, Nastran, CosmosM
- Proficiency with CAD software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced team environment
- Computer expertise in MS Office, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, MSProject
- Proficiency with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5M
- Knowledge of the metric system, metric hardware and metric fit tolerances
- Ability to work extra hours beyond 40 hours per week as project schedules may require
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the time
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in marine industry designing Underwater Vehicles, AUV / UUV, ROV or offshore structures
- PE or CE certification
- Experience with GL guidelines for the certification
- Experience with IEC requirements
- Dynamics Analysis Experience, 6 sigma green belt certification
- Office work ~ 95%: Moderate noise (Example: business office with typewriters/printers, light traffic, etc.), comfortable temperatures, clean air.
- Travel to manufacturing facilities, foundries, etc. ~ 3% Moderate to high levels of noise (Example: grinding equipment, etc.), comfortable to uncomfortable temperatures, clean to unclean air.
This is a contract to hire or full-time position. The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies. These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job. I understand that I am able to do this position.