12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 9:38 PM by Nick Tanner

Revision Symbols

Scott McFadden

I am relatively new to revision symbols.  In past places I have always used the SW revision

table but never the symbols.  Until now!!!!

What I have noticed is when I place these symbols in various locations across the drawing

either next to a line item in a BOM or next to a dimension, balloon or even a note that if the view

moves or one of these items moves the rev symbol does not.

My question is, is there a way to link these symbols to the above mentioned items so they move when

the thing they are associated with moves?

• Re: Revision Symbols
          Deepak Gupta

You can group them with dimension, balloon, etc. or highlight the view before placing them (in case you need them to remain intact with view)

Scott McFadden

Yes, I can, but I was hoping there is some setting that automatically links it.

Kind of like the anchor point on the SW tables.

Grouping is achievable but sometimes can be monotonous.

Wayne Tiffany

Very simple - make sure that you drop the symbol INTO the view that contains the note/balloon, etc.  It sounds like you are placing them right where you want them (which makes sense) but they are ending up on the sheet, not in the view.  Drop them into the view and then drag out to the final location.

WT

Scott McFadden

Not quite.  I can and have done that.  But, if the balloon is moved or an item gets added to the BOM

the rev symbol does not come along for the ride.  It has to first be noticed that it didn't move and then

be relocated...again.

Deepak Gupta

That's why you need to group them and I don't think there is any other option available. May be you can put up an ER and let us know as I would like to see this feature too.

Wayne Tiffany

Sorry, misunderstood.

I can't think of anything better than grouping, and I know you can't group to a BOM line.  What would this new request be?  Would it only apply to rev triangles?  Would you say that whatever line in the BOM you placed it next to then it would follow that BOM item number?  That won't work because what do you do when the order of the BOM is changed - the proper line and/or item number could change.

In a drawing view, I think grouping is quite the proper method as it allows the user to be in control of what the triangle stays with.  I don't trust the system to decide for me as I see too many chances to go wrong.

WT

Scott McFadden

No problem, it happens to the best of us!!

What my thoughts are is the balloons are parametric with the BOM table.

The rev symbol is sort of parametric with the revision table (rev letter only).

Maybe this is more in line with a PDM thing as if you have PDM working effectively

the revision coming out of the vault drives the drawing revision.  How awesome it would be

to have built in a way that the system detects what is different between revisions and

gives you an option of placing these symbols at the location of the difference.

Whether it be in the BOM, attached to balloons or what ever.  I think you see where I

am heading with this.  I am certainly open you yours and anyone elses suggestion

on making the enhancement request totally encompass what this should be.

Hope this makes sense.

David Mandl

The most helpful thing I've seen for stuff like this* is the "Lock View Focus" feature.

Right click on a view and select "Lock View Focus".  The outline of your view should now be highlighted.  Now, every annotation you place becomes automatically linked to the view.  When you're done, you just right click the view again and select "Unlock View Focus", and you can go about your business.

* I'm assuming that Revision Symbols function just like other annotations, like notes.

Nick Tanner

On  aside note in answer to Scott's comment: you CAN delete single revision symbols, and it doesn't necessarily delete the associated row of the revision table. There are prompts which as you if you want to do this but these can be check as "never ask again" if you're not careful. Check under Options > Advanced to ensure you haven't checked these accidentally.