9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 5:05 AM by Legt Chevrollier

Amplification factors in Flow Simulation?

Legt Chevrollier

I am trying to use Flow Simulation for analysis of Amplification factors, due to wind impact on my buldings surroundings.

The amplification factor is defined as the ratio of the local wind speed to the wind speed that would occur at the same position without the buildings present.

Here is an example of the amplification factor analysis in some other CFD application:

proba.jpg

Can this be done in SolidWorks Flow Simulation?

• Re: Amplification factors in Flow Simulation?
          Loic Ancian

I think this can be done

you can plot a map of velocity evrywhere

and even create your own display parameter, in your case ampl factor = velocity/  velocity without building.

It is worth trying I think

Loic Ancian

Hi,

Sorry I was mistaken...: in my case the formula is {Velocity}/ 10 because 10m/s was my reference velocity (as in general settings)..

And Im afraid there is no reference velocity variable available in this software so you will have to modify the formula for each velocity.

As unit I selected "no unit"

Best regards

Loic

Legt Chevrollier

Thank you for the reply Loic. I think I finally understand you.

This is all my mistake, I should have defined the "Amplification factor" better.

Basically the Amplification factor is the ratio of the:

local wind speed on certain area, after the changes has been made on it (say adding a building, two buildinsg, three, bench, three, anything)

and a local wind speed on the same area before those changes have been made.

So the area does not necessary need to be empty before the changes have been made. I guess I made not a precise definition in the beginning, so all this time you were trying to explain me this, right:

proba4a.jpg

Black buildings are the new objects on the plan. In my case the maximum wind speed is 2.8m/s in yours it would be 10m/d.

But this is not what I want. What I want is this:

proba3p.jpg

Again black buildings are the new objects on the plan.

This is why I was confused all the time with you explanations. And it seems it is my fault from the very start. I did not correctly defined the Amplification factors. Sorry for that.

So like I said, the area on which the buildings, objects are built, does not necessary need to be empty before the changes were made

Can this be done in Solid Works?