Ive been using Solidworks, Catia, AutoCad, Inventor, and others for about 6 years, and ive been running those on a currently 7 year old dell inspiron 1501 laptop. My current laptop is so old and slow i can only have one of these programs loaded into it at a time.
I finally am getting together enough cash to build a future proof system that i can use for light gaming and mostly drafting and rendering.
This is the build I was thinking of so far.
- Evga Classified SR-2 motherboard
- Xigmatek Elysium Case
- 2 - 60gb SSD's in RAID0 off the two SATAIII connections for the OS and Solidworks...should read and write at about 1gb/sec
- 2 - Antec kuhler 620's for the CPU's
- 2 - G. Skill Ripsaw 24gb DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz
- LITE-ON blueray, dvd, cd writer and reader
- Classified SR-2 1200W continous power supply
- 2 - Intel Xeon E5645 Processors OC to 3.6 GHz
- 2 - WD 1 terabyte HDD in RAID0 for everything else
My hang up is on the graphics card, ive been trying to read forums and alot of the ansers are 2 or 3 years old and graphics cards have made huge leaps over the past couple of years. I am also hearing different views that Gaming Graphic cards wont work well with solidworks, but i do not want to spend alot of money on qquatro cards or firepro cards especially since they dont do gaming well at all. I have 4 cards im trying to choose from and I have a couple of factors to my decision:
- I plan on starting conservtley and then expanding to 4 cards total eventually since the SR-2 has 4 16X slots not only for better graphics but for the processing power each card will provide. So either I can get 4 consertive cards if they will run everything really well or i can get 4 high quality cards. i dont know which one equals out to a couple of workstation cards
- I plan on soft-modding these so I can run real-view in Solidworks
- How well they will run cad programs
- how well they will run games
- the fact that i dont want a workstation card
- future proofing
The 4 cards im trying to choose from are:
- 2- XFX 6950 2GB GDDR5 in crossfire total of $550
- EVGA Geforce GTX 580 3072MB GDDR5 $590
- EVGA Geforce GTX 590 3072MB GDDR5 $730
- XFX Radeon HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 $730
Any help or advice that could be given on this would be very much appreciated, Im going to be building this systemm in a few weeks and im not sure what card will be best for the future to me choices 1 and 2 are pratically the same and if i had to have my pick between 3 and 4 i would choose the 6990 because i could run solidworks on 5 monitors in eyefinity mode. thats what i mean by value and future proofing, not a lot of other cards could run 5 displays if i wanted to do that someday or maybe 3 monitors and a 3D projector, I dont know at this point thats why I want help with this choice from the Solidworks community.
Thank you very much