7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2013 4:14 PM by Ben Warrick

Cant install soildWorks

Matthew Simpson

I have installed soildworks on my computer before but removed it due to licensing issues. I now have obtained a studdent disk and i can open the instilation screen but i cant click next to move from the welcom screen to the cerial screen. I have tryed the disc on other computers and it works on them. I have also tryed droping my fire wall but that does not solve the problem I have windows 7 and am trying to install soildworks 2010-2011.

Thank you in advace fot your help.

• Re: Cant install soildWorks
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Matt.

I would suggest you to do clean SolidWorks completely from your machine before attempting to reinstall. Please check this: https://forum.solidworks.com/docs/DOC-1014

Also which is your web browser type and version as I remember there was an issue where the IE didn't allowed clicking on the next while installation.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference

Matthew Simpson

I can no longer uninstall the older versions of soildworks because i went in and deleted all the files. I use google chrome as my defualt web browser but i also have IE.

Deepak Gupta

In that case, please clean up the SolidWorks registry. Check the post here with info on how to clean manually: Soliworks Cleanup Tool for a New Installation of SW2011

Matthew Simpson

I cleaned everything out of my registry but i still cant get past the welcome screen of the instillation manager.

Deepak Gupta

SolidWorks Knowldge base has listed two solution for it. Try these and I'm sure it should fix the problem.

S-054371

1. This may be caused by missing JavaScript components.  Try registering jscript.dll as described below:

Open a command prompt or run command:  regsvr32 jscript.dll

2. Try restoring Internet Explorer® settings:

Open Internet Explorer >Tools >Internet Options >select ‘Advanced’ Tab > select “Reset…” button.

Launch Installation Manager and see if the next button can be selected or not.

3. If the above steps do not help try knowledge base article: S-053664

S-053664

In some cases this has been cause by an incorrect registry key in the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones

The subfolders of this key should only have numbers for their names.  If a sub folder is name anything other than a number, (such as a superscript L), then delete that key and restart the Installation Manager.

This issue has mainly been seen on the Windows 7 x64 operating system.

Matthew Simpson

S-053664 was the problem thanks allot for all your help.

Ben Warrick

I tried S-054371 and S-053664, but I still had the problem (unable to select the 'next' button) during installation.  Then, I remembered back to when I had a separate error related to MSOffice: "Can't find script engine 'VBScript' for script".

So I found a guide that auggy posted here which had me check a registry entry for vbscript.dll.  My registry entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 had been changed by McAfee to a different .dll when the factory installed McAfee anti-virus.  I tried to change the entry back to "vbscript.dll" using admin rights, but regedit or some other source would not allow it.

I then downloaded MCPR to remove McAfee products, which worked.  I could select 'next' during the SW install.  My vbscript.dll file was not registered properly, causing explorer to misbehave.  Another indication that this might be your problem is if "Control Panel-> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Extended" shows up improperly.  If it doesn't, vbscript.dll is likely mis-registered.