7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 3:48 PM by Kyle Von Koepping

Changes not saving in data card

Kyle Von Koepping

Hello all,

I'm having an issue that seems to be isolated to a variable on a single data card, EPDM 2010 SP4.

A user will check out the file, edit one certain value -- the field is a drop down list where the variable (called "Author") is set to the list of users in the vault (i.e. "User List (Login name)" ). The problem is that the choice is not saved when the file is checked back in, and it reverts back to the username it was before being checked out. If a different variable is used for the dropdown (say, one called "Color", "Title", etc.), the changes save upon checkin.

The "Author" variable is not set as read only, and the "Default Value Overwrites" box is unchecked. It also doesn't happen for the same "Author" variable for a different data card. No control logic is set for the card. It produces the same results regardless of field type the variable's attached to (Editbox, combobox dropdown, combobox droplist, combobox simple, list). It can be set to different usernames upon original file creation on the template card, but after a value is chosen and the file is saved, it can't be changed again. Also, happens regardless of user.

I've tried to rule out as many things as possible.....Any ideas? I've been looking around and testing just about everything I can think of, and I'm pretty stumped as to why it's just happening for this variable.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Kyle

• Re: Changes not saving in data card
          Joy Garon

Hi Kyle,

Was the data card for a SolidWorkd file? Did you check to see which configuration was being edited?

I would start by looking at how it is defined in the data card. If 'Update all configurations' is not checked, then it only modifies the selected configuration. If you want the editted value to appear in all configurate after edit, then check the option.

authorissue.png

Regards,

Joy

Kyle Von Koepping

Hello Joy,

Thanks for looking into this for me. The files in question are Word Documents (.doc, but I could probably resave the template file it uses as .docx, if it may make any difference). Checking the Update All Configurations box on the data card and tried changing the field again, unfortunately with the same results.

Joy Garon

Hi Kyle -

Okay, that setting does not apply to Word docs.

Can you please capture a screen shot of the data card and how the variable is setup and also the variable mapping and post it?

Also, what is the Default setting for the variable?

dcardissue.png

Kyle Von Koepping

Here's something interesting I discovered:

We do have custom attributes set for the Author variable, for different document types. For doc, docx & docm extensions, we have set "CustomProperty" for Block, and "asset_author" for the Attribute. If you check out the document, change the username in the Author variable's dropdown on the data card, and check it in, the change DOES get passed properly into the Word document's Custom Properties tab (as asset_author).

Also, the original value for Author set at the file creation gets put into the Author field on the doc's summary tab (highlighted in the attached picture). When the Word doc is opened and it is changed here, it propagates back to the data card and does save upon checkin.

So it would seem that the PDM Author variable can only be changed by modifying the Author field in the document's summary tab..

Doc Properties Dialog.jpg

Joy Garon

Hi Kyle,

I cannot reproduce the issue at all. I suspect the problem lies somewhere in the mapping but I can't see where.

Are there any errors in the log file?

Joy

p.s. try saving the card (from the card editor, File > Export), create a new vault, import the card and test in the new vault.

You may need to call your VAR on this one and open an SR.

Kyle Von Koepping

To test, I dropped a .docx file in the same directory and the problem didn't affect its data card. It turns out that it was an issue with the Author variable's properties, specifically the "Author" attribute in the "Summary" block (Figure 1).

Setting this causes the PDM Author variable to pass to the "Author" Word Summary field (figure 2) upon original file creation. The issue is that it now LOCKS the PDM Author variable to it. Changing the "Author" Word Summary field changes the PDM Author Variable, but you can no longer change it on the data card.

I took "doc" out of the PDM Author variable's list of extensions for the Summary block (not sure why it was put in, possibly from PDM administrators before myself, because it's not used anywhere), and changes to the Author dropdown now save upon checkin.

Hope this helps anyone running into a similar issue!

Kyle

Figure 1:

Author Variable Attributes.jpg

Figure 2:
                            Doc Properties Dialog.jpg