2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 4:35 PM by Gabriel Massano

Simulating Flotation and Displacement

Gabriel Massano

Hi all. I'm searching for a way to simulate flotation of objects (i.e. a boat floating on water).

This software made this but unfortunately it seems to be discontinued:

http://www.amdboat.com/boatdesignsoftware

Tutorial youtube:

http://www.vimeo.com/5143080

Yuri Dumchicov

biodesigndemo@gmail.com

So I wonder if there is something similar in SolidWorks and/or SW Simulation. The process is easy to understand but seems to be hard to program, as I can't find any software doing what Mr. Dumchicov's "Displacement" software do:

Object submerges until underwater volume weight (displaced water) equals object's weight, then it will turn until his Gravity Center gets vertically aligned with the Centroide of the submerged volume. When rotating, weight of underwater volume mast always equals object's weight, so many iterations are needed. That's all.

Dynamic drag of weights into object's volume, modifyies object's Center of Gravity position allowing to interactively correct boat's balance (this is the easy part).

This simple application could have a strong  impact on naval design.

I will appreciate any comments to this thread

Tks

• Re: Simulating Flotation and Displacement
          Ryan Beck

I want this as well! 

Determining CoB with a given configuration, just statically would be a huge time saver! 

Your search has been more fruitful than my own...

• Re: Simulating Flotation and Displacement
              Gabriel Massano

Ryan, I've found an approach to this buoyancy issue: It's done with Game-Physics simulation (Reactor in this case):

I've modelled a sailboat (wich is my first concern) and have made this simple simulation to check buoyancy and stability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTQByZ4cx0

In this simulation, each object has his own material, density, volume and Gravity Center Position. Combined in a group, they automatically use one common CG and volume.

In addition, I've found that Google Sketchup can manage this problem using Sketchyphysics (a GNU licenced Game-Physycs simulator that uses Newton Game Dynamics, GNU licenced also). By now, this are non-scientifical approachs to the problem, but we should be aware, because they could evolve rapidly.

In both cases, the major limitation resides on how they manage object's Gravity Center: Reactor and Sketchyphysics fix CG at the mass center of each object. This works well with solid objects having only one material, but is not enought accurate when objects are hollow or thick surfaces.

Hope SolidWorks take this challenge and develop something similar (but more scientifical!), it could be very usefull to Nautical Design.

Regards