2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 3:03 PM by James Imes

Look up parts in PDM more than 1 @ time

James Imes

We have migrated a huge amount of legacy data that is not 3D SolidWorks into PDM & there'll be no

time or resource for converting these but still need them into BOM's.  Going to use paste as ref to

BOM in PDM like virtuals so that PDM has all need build parts in the BOM.

Problem is there can be hundreds that need to be looked up, copied & then pasted as referance to

the parent assy & this will be time consuming so need to know if anyone has a routine or has been

able to get PDM to look up multiple parts in one search, maybe using a "feed sheet" such as an

Excel list.

Would greatly appreciate any experience that others may have had in this area

• Re: Look up parts in PDM more than 1 @ time
          Wayne Matus

Yes, it could be done. You can use the EPDM API for searching the vault. You can also paste as reference to manually link files. If you can give me more specific information, I can give you a quote.

Wayne Matus

www.wlmservices.net

• Re: Look up parts in PDM more than 1 @ time
              James Imes

Thanks much for reply & willingness Wayne.  Envision single column Excel to find numbers within PDM (in total, not one specific folder) with suffix of file to be excluded in search so it'll find any/all types. Don't believe we'd need much data card info,  just actual file name.

Then bring it all to an Explorer window so I can select & copy for "paste as ref" in PDM proper.  That would be best / ideal scenario I can muster at this point with my last 2 competing brain cells.

Thought this would be common for many out there who still have 2D & non-CAD files that need to be there for inclusion to BOM's & would still solicit any in the community to shed light on how they accomplished the marriage of CAD, non-CAD & mixed types of documents within PDM.

This is from perspective / context of dealing with large data sets & not one at a time.  With limited resources & older 2D drawings that are still building good parts, I can't show ROI in investing modeling time to make all this SolidWorks.