22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 12:30 PM by Frank Spenling

Rhino to SolidWorks import

Legt Chevrollier

The title of my this topic, may be different but here is the story:

I spent almost three days in trying to import my 3d model from Rhinoceros to SolidWorks Flow simulation for wind pressure analysis of my curved roof.

First I experimented with the export extensions. I tried to export my model from Rhino to: .3ds, .obj .vrml .step .dwg .dxf .sat ... and all other available extensions.

I even tried the trial plugin "3ds to SolidWorks"

Nothing, no succes. Some of above mentioned extensions can be opened in the SolidWorks, some not. But even those that can be opened, can not be used in Flow Simulation, which is my goal (importing my 3d model from Rhino to SolidWorks for wind pressure analysis).

Finally after today I saw that .igs export from Rhino gives best results.

With it, I succeded to import my 3d Rhino model into Solid Works.

Again a new headacke begins: As I read somewhere on this forum, Flow Simulation requires all entities to be solid, not surfaces. Because of that, I had to use the "Extrude" and "Thicken" commands to convert my surfaces to solids. But there comes the headacke: probably because those are not SolidWorks surfaces, but imported ones, I simply can not Extrude or Thicken them. Especially the two way curved ones. I am getting messages:

"The surfaces could not be extruded/thickened" and similar.

After couple of hours I succeeded in thickening all of them. It has something to do with the order by which I thicken them, and by the values (in milimeters). Sounds strange? Yes it does to me also.

When I finally made it to convert all surfaces to solids, then I Created a new Flow simulation project, set general settings, initial mesh, surface goals, went to Solve->Run, and was finally excited that I will get my results, a new dissapointment emerged:

"There is no fluid volume in the project. Please check geometry or boundary conditions."

I tried to search for the soulution in here, but all I got was some tip about adding the "Fluid Subdomain" and the above error message will vanish. Nope, that did not worked neither. Then after more hours and testing, I found out that the problem lies in my two curved surface. When I not choose it as one of the "Surface goals" then the Flow Simulation solves without the problems. Later on I can choose this surface as one of the others in the Surface plots. But NOT BEFORE I SOLVE the Flow Simulation.

Again a new problem emerges - the pressure results in the Surface plots, can not be seen unless you click on those furfaces. But then the blue selection color is appearing as close as you zoom in the project. Take a look:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/28110942.jpg/][IMG]http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3153/28110942.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/68293881.jpg/][IMG]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4944/68293881.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/81569327.jpg/][IMG]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4928/81569327.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/92476316.jpg/][IMG]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4862/92476316.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Did anybody else have any similar experiences with export of Rhino to SolidWorks?

Thank you

Regards

Legt

P.S.

I saw a tv show on National Geography about the designer from Maserati. He created the 3d model of new Maserati in 3d Studio Max, and then the Engineers did the air pressure analysis in SolidWorks Flow Simulation. So I guess they had to to export the 3d model from 3d Studio Max to SolidWorks.

3d studio max is not a NURBS modelling application, in contrary to Rhinoceros, which is. So if exporting from 3d studio max to SolidWorks is possible, then it has to be much easier to export from Rhino to SolidWorks, right?

• Re: Rhino to SolidWorks import
          Lenny Bucholz

file open after you get the translator.

Legt Chevrollier

You mean open the .3dm Rhino file directly into SolidWorks? No this method did not worked, and I am still having the same problems with Extruding/Thickening some of the surfaces - they simply can not be Extruded/Thickened.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/74274533.jpg/

not even a flat surface can not be Extruded/Thickened:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/73848685.jpg/

John Layne

Hi Legt,

Can you share the model?

I've been importing models from Rhino recently without problems.

Forgot to add, which version of SolidWorks do you have?

Legt Chevrollier

John how did you import those Rhino models in SolidWorks? Which extension? .3dm?

I am using SolidWorks 2011 Premium x32, and Rhino SR8

Here are both the Rhino .3dm and Solidworks .sldprt files:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20685272/rhino_to_solidworks.rar

John Layne

imported ok using the .3dm extension.

I do run import diagnostics as automatically.

I was able to thicken 2 of the surfaces the third (the tear drop shap) would only thicken to about .1mm due the minimum radius

mincurve.jpg

Legt Chevrollier

Thank you for the reply John.

1) For next project: how do I know to which size can I thicken my curved surfaces? By checking its "minimum radiuses"? How did you get that "Check entity" window?

2) what about those walls beneath the "tear shaped roof". This ones. I did not succeded in thickening then either.

3) What do you exactly mean by: "I do run import diagnostics as automatically" ?

You mean you you confirm the "Import Diagnostics" after opening the .3dm file in SolidWorks? Take a look at this screenshot

This is all the first step of importing. But what is important to me, is that I can run a Flow Simulation and get the results.

Can you do this please?

John Layne

Legt Chevrollier wrote:

1) For next project: how do I know to which size can I thicken my curved surfaces? By checking its "minimum radiuses"? How did you get that "Check entity" window?

mincurve2.jpg

2) what about those walls beneath the "tear shaped roof". This ones. I did not succeded in thickening then either.

mincurve3.jpg
                                  mincurve4.jpg

3) What do you exactly mean by: "I do run import diagnostics as automatically" ?

You mean you you confirm the "Import Diagnostics" after opening the .3dm file in SolidWorks? Take a look at this screenshot Yes

This is all the first step of importing. But what is important to me, is that I can run a Flow Simulation and get the results.

Can you do this please? Sorry no, not my area of expertise. However given the scale of the roof and lack of physical texture/roughness I doubt you would get any sensible results from the simulation.

Legt Chevrollier

I will use the number markings again:

1) Now I know where to find the Minimum radius of the Face/Surface (Tools->Check). Thanks.

But this has nothing to do with my thickening. I just tried to thicken the problematic "tear shaped" surface with radius 1mm on outside, inside, and both outside and inside. Neither it works with for example 0.5 , 0.6 , 0.7 , 0.8 , 0.9, 1.0, 1.1 , 1.2 , 1.5. But it magically works with 2mm inside thicken.

So I guess this “Minimum radius” has nothing to do with the Thickening. Am I right or wrong?

2) You are trying to tell me  that I can not thicken a surface if the resulting thickened surfaces are interesting?

3) “given the scale of the roof and lack of physical texture/roughness I doubt you would get any sensible results from the simulation.

Can you clear this up a little bit please.

The scale of the roof is to big or to small? What do you mean by “physical texture/roughness”?

Thanks.

Neil Larsen

hmm I had some fluke success at 2mm with the roof after running import diagnostics but then it refused to cooperate with any changes thickened in or out. I think it is not happy because of the two bits of funny reverse curvature right at the front edge -see pic of thicken inward case. I think you should try to fix this area in rhino first if you want to use it in SW

John Brock

Hi

If you still have the Rhino 3DM file of that object, I'm happy to have a look at it in Rhino and see if I can figure out what needs to me changed or cleaned up so it will import to SolidWorks correctly.

Generally speaking, if the following conditions are met in Rhino then it will open cleanly in SolidWorks:

1 - Your Rhino model was created at an appropriate tolerance for down-process needs. Most of the time an absolute modeling tolerance of 0.001 or 0.0005", or 0.001mm, and an angle tolerance of 0.5 degrees.

2 - The SelBadObjects command doesn't select anything. If it does, there are good FAQs for quickly fixing the problems on the Rhino Support page

3 - The What command reports you have a "Closed, solid, polysurface". The ShowEdges command is very handy for visually spotting "naked" and "non-manifold" surface edges. Keep in mind that Rhino is a surface modeler. Rhino can make solids but has no requirement to do so.

4 - One final check is to Explode your polysurface and then Join it again. This is a final tolerance and edge check that will help with sanity. After Joining, check for closed solids again. This will weed out Joining that is out of tolerance and micro loops in surface edges.

5 - Use Export Selected to send out only the verified solids and surfaces you need in SolidWorks. There can be lots of other things in the Rhino file that are of no use in SolidWorks so it's best to send only clean surfaces and solids. Choose the Rhino V4 file format, IGES, or STEP.

John Brock

Rhinoceros

Seattle

John Brock

SolidWorks can open Rhino V4 files. Additionally, it can open/import IGES and STEP files exported from Rhinoceros.

Here's a link to a support document that is an overview of SolidWorks/Rhino file transfer:
                                  http://4.rhino3d.com/partners/solidworks/rhino_works_a4.pdf

John Brock

Rhinoceros

Seattle

Paulus Musters

Has anyone imported Rhino 5 files into solidworks? I have to convert files from rhino 5 to rhino 4 in order for them to open in SW?