14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 10:51 AM by Lenny Bucholz

Export as STL

Thomas Sanladerer

Hi,

as a student project i'm currently working on a 3D printer (Reprap Mendel). To print, i need the files as .stl, but Solidworks Student can't directly export STLs and the "trick" using edrawings produces defective files, containing gaps or corrupted geometry. An example is attached.

Is there any way to export STLs that i can actually use?

Thanks.

• Re: Export as STL
          Anna Wood

See if this will work for you.  Save As an STL direct out of SolidWorks.

Cheers,

Anna

Thomas Sanladerer

The file you provided works well. But here is my problem:

Thomas Sanladerer wrote:

Solidworks Student can't directly export STLs
                  JOHN GEORGE

Do you really need the format to be STL?

Will it be possible to work with any other formats

STL format is like a 3D picture, formerly used for prototypes.

Do you want to try exporting from a different program?

Thomas Sanladerer

Since the Reprap essentialy is a rapid protoyping machine (as any 3D printer), STL is the appropriate format. More background information about the opensource Reprap project can be found here: http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

The mainly used format is .stl, however there is software available that makes .gts and .obj files useable.

Since this is a student project, i'd like other students to be able to use the 3D printer. The CAD software most students use at my university is Solidworks, so if you know any software that will let everybody model their part in Solidworks and then convert it to stl, please let me know.

Anna Wood

Sorry, I did not understand what you were asking.  Have a better idea now that we have the entire context of your issue.  :-)

What file formats can SolidWorks Student Edition save out?

You can get free educational seats of Autodesk Inventor.  I am wondering if that will read the SolidWorks files.  Then you could save out an STL file.

http://students.autodesk.com/

I do believe the educational seats are fully functional, unlike SolidWorks having limitations.

Siemens Solid Edge may be an option as well.  They have recently opened up their educational program offering free software for students.

Cheers,

Anna

Thomas Sanladerer

Solidworks Student offers me the lovely choice of

• Part: .prt / .sldprt
                              • Lib Feat Part: .sldlfp
                              • Part Pemplate: .prtdot
                              • eDrawing: .eprt

which - i assume - are all proprietary formats.

I've  used CATIAv5 before and i really don't feel how there is any improvement with Solidworks behind the flashy interface. That's why i'm  happy to try out Inventor like you suggested. The download is a bit too  large for me to handle right now, so i'll download it in the next couple  days.

Still, i need to find a way for my fellow students to use Solidworks, even if i stick with Autodesk Inventor.

Lenny Bucholz

Student versions of SW are to learn SW not import and export, the reason is to many were buying the student version and using to commercial work so SW locked out the exporting!

Now the Educational version does everything the commercial does, reason is the schools are teaching and sending to different softwares and machinery that the students use in school.

so they can open their files at school then send what they need out via whatever formate they need.

Thomas Sanladerer

Okay, this was a bit confusing for me to read. Let me sum it up how i understood it:

While the "Student" version i have installed on my private PC is stripped down, the "Educational" version that is installed on my university's PCs is in fact a full copy and should be able to export STLs?

I'll try it out tomorrow on one of my university's PCs and report back. If it works - we'd have a winner.

Thanks!

Lenny Bucholz

Work at ASU , run the student machine shop and instruct CAD I using SW educational, class starts next Tuesday.

all the file save as and open work in the Educational version.

here is the jist, companies would hire students or send a worker to school, they would buy the student version so they wouldn't have to pay the $4+k and do their designs.

that is why SW locked out the exporting of all the translators, because SW couldn't trace translated files but they can student and educational that have been used in commercial work.