8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 4:39 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Large model

Lena Chan

Hi,

Does anybody know, is there any other 3D software that can build large model that SW not able to build?

Regards

Lena

• Re: Large model
          Dan Riffell

What do you mean by "large"?  Are you trying to model something that is physically larger than the 1km cube limitation?  If so, you can always scale it down.

Kelvin Lamport

Lena,

There are not too many single piece objects in the world which are larger than 1km. What are you actually trying to model?

Dan & Scott,

See Lena's previous thread for more info ... https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/46261

Doug Seibel

As I understand it, the 1 kilometer cube limit is not due to Solidworks...but due to the Parasolid modeling kernel.  So any CAD system using the Parasolid kernel will have the same limitation.  I don't think Pro-E/Wildfire has any size/space limits, and I would also bet that Catia does not have any limit.  And any of the older CAD or modeling systems (like Cadkey or Rhino) will most likely not have any size/space limits (I know for certain that Rhino has no limits on size/space).

But like the others here, I am very curious as to what you are modeling that is that large.

Lena Chan

To Doug Seibel,

Thanks for the cad recommendation!

And also thanks the rest for replying my question!

To Dan Riffell,

If scaling UP 2D or 3D will be better.

To All,

I trying to do some simple sketches to see how SW limitation can go to & so I created e.g a simple line, radius, etc that is e.g 3300 (ft) which is over the limit of 1 km & was not able to do so & therefore drop a note in forum for advise.

Regards

Lena

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Lena,

A while ago I also needed to dimension a radius that was too large to do directly.  I sketched a construction line connecting the endpoints, and another from the centerpoint of the first line and perpendicular to it to the radius.  I am at home now and don't have SW here or I would attach a picture to explain.  I then dimensioned those two lines to fully define the sketch.  Of course I knew the length of those lines so I don't know if this would work for you, but I thought I would mention it.  Good luck,

Glenn