17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2018 6:11 AM by Kyle Mordan

Property manager Tab

Tex Clauss

Hi, i am doing a tutorial re. sketching in 3D planes, the property manager tab up in the left hand corner has dissappeared and i can't retrieve it. the tutorial I am working on is directing me to click on it. HELP!

• Re: Property manager Tab
          Scott McFadden

Hi Tex,

Go to Tools>Options>System Options>General

Make sure the box next to auto show the property manager is selected.

PM.png

Tex Clauss

Thanks for the reply Scott1 However I looked, and  it is already checked. When I started the tutorial 3D sketching with planes, I noticed the tab, and then somewhere during the exersize it dissappeared. Even when I shut down the program and restart, it still dosen't reappear.

any suggestions? Tex

Scott McFadden

You didn't happen top have saved you settings through the copy settings wizard did you?

When you say you have tried restarting, are you doing it calling up the same exercise file?

If so, try starting a brand new file.

Tex Clauss

Thanks again Scott, especially for your patience. If I did any thing at all with copy settings wizzard, it was by mistake; i don't even know how to access it. I have completely restarted the same tutorial at least 5 times just to try to get around the particular step where it says "under visibility, clear Planes and select Relations" but right before that it says to click the Property Manager Tab, which is no longer there.

If you haven't guessed, I am a beginner. Tex

Scott McFadden

No problem.  We are all still learning.

As far as the copy settings wizard, go to the start menu them all programs>solidworks directory>tools>copy settings wizard.

Then follow the directions.  They are pretty straight forward and simple.

I saved mine and I have attached it here.  You are welcome to use them if you want to try and solve

your issue.  Just doubleclick on this file and it will bring up the dialog that will give you instructions

on what to do.

Best of luck.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Tex,

The PropertyManager is actually detachable and can be dragged elsewhere on the screen. If you don't see it elsewhere, go to View, Workspace and choose Default. This will set everything back to how it was installed and the PropertyManager tab should again be present in the Manager Area. This help topic covers the workspace subject:

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/AllContent/SolidWorks/Core/UI/t_Setting_Workspace_Options.htm

I hope this helps,

Jim

Tex Clauss

Thank You Scott, Thank you Jim for your timely responses. My problem is solved, Hooray!

You guys are great, this forum is great. Thanks again all. Tex

Max Crittenden

Jim, my Property Manager also came detached accidentally. I used your suggestion to put it back on a tab behind the Feature Manager, but all the other changes that I've made to the workspace view have gone away! Now I'm going to have to painstakingly find all the names for the menus and graphics that I don't like and get rid of them again. What a drag! Is there any way to put the Property Manager back in its tab without reverting to all the other workspace view defaults?

Actually, I like having the Property Manager pop up as a separate window when it's needed. Especially when creating mates, it's excruciatingly difficult and unpleasant to pick out planes from the duplicate Feature Manager that appears in the graphics area when the Property Manager opens on the left. The truncated part names, and the fact that the names usually lie on top of graphics, make them hard to read and to distinguish.

But just now, I found it impossible to add a component to an assembly. I used the command Insert -> Component -> Existing Part/Assembly. The Feature Manager window appeared, but I was given no opportunity to browse for the part I wanted. How do you add a component to an assembly if the Property Manager opens as a popup window?

This is SW2011 SP5.0. Thanks.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Max,

Unfortunately, if you have already executed the command to reset the workspace, then there is no way to revert everything back to how you had it previously unless you had saved out all of your setup using the Copy Settings Wizard. Truthfully, the workspace setup really only manipulates a few things, so it shouldn't be too many settings to get it back to where it was before.

But, for future reference, if it accidentally gets undocked, you can just dock it again by dragging it and using the docking icons to get it to the position you want. This topic describes that in the "Floating and Docking the PropertyManager" section: http://help.solidworks.com/2013/English/solidworks/sldworks/r_pm_overview.htm

I hope this helps,

Jim

Max Crittenden

Yes Jim, that's very helpful. Thank you. I wish the Help files were as helpful. I did a search for Property Manager before I asked my question, and I wasn't directed to the Overview.

Maybe it's because I'm not willing to call it the PropertyManager (one word with a cap in the middle). That's not real English!

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Max,

Are you using the local help or the web help (the web help is what I directed you to). If you do a search for either Property Manager or PropertyManager in the web help, the overview topic comes up as the second hit. In the local help, it only comes up as the first hit if you use the single word version. If you use the two word version, it comes up with 500 hits and I gave up trying to find it in there. We have no control over the local help search engine; it is an ancient search engine built into the Microsoft CHM viewer, and one of the primary reasons we implemented web help; so we could provide a better search engine.

Thanks,
                                      Jim

Max Crittenden

I use web help. Local help crashes Solidworks.

I just now tried the search again, spelling it both as one word and as two words, and the overview doesn't come up for me. At least not on the first page of results. Maybe it's the version of SW I'm using?

Jim Wilkinson

Interesting. For the SolidWorks 2011 content, it looks like it comes up as the 2nd hit on the second page of results or the 3rd hit on the second page of results depending on whether you search with the space or not. in SolidWorks 2013, we restructured the content architecture on a lot of the pages so it looks like this has helped with the relevancy in the search results (in a positive way) for this particular page.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
                                              Jim