5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 10:18 AM by Jason Capriotti

Reflected Ceiling Plan

Jason Capriotti

We design elevators which are sort of Quasi-architectual in their use but are mechincal parts. For our cab layouts we sometimes need to show a reflected celing plan. I don't see a way to do this, is something like this possible?

• Re: Reflected Ceiling Plan
          Anna Wood

Jason,

Can you explain what you mean be reflected ceiling plan?  Never heard that term before.

Cheers,

Anna

Kelvin Lamport

Anna,

A "reflected ceiling plan" is the view of a ceiling as it would be seen if looking at a mirror on the floor (although I have been told it's supposed to be a virtual mirror placed one foot below the ceiling). It is often used in architectural drawings to more easily show the relationship to floor plan features.

Jason,

Could you create a mirrored part or assy using the top of the cab as the mirror plane, and then create a section looking down onto it's ceiling?

Jason Capriotti

I tried a mirror assembly but unless I create "opposite hand" parts, it doesn't show it correctly. The problem with the opposite hand parts is it either creates configurations in each of the parts in the assembly, or it creates mirror files for each part. Kind of messy.....might be the only way to show it though....unless I export, then use AutoCAD or Draftsight to mirror it and bring it back in. Hate to lose the associativity.

Kelvin Lamport

How about saving the assy as part, then mirror, then section?

That doesn't solve the associativity problem, but would save the unwanted configs and/or mirrored parts.

Jason Capriotti

That would no doubt work.....then your suggestion jogged my memory of a little remembered command hidden in the recesses of my memory known as a Join. It's associative, although not as fully associative as I would like......and it has some performance issues but it does work, and it updates.

So the steps are:

1. Insert a new part in the assembly, puts you in edit component mode.
                          2. While in edit component, insert a feature called Join.
                          3. Select all the parts you want and Ok the dialogue.
                          4. Open the new part and adda mirror feature, select all the bodies to mirror  and make sure merge is not selected.
                          5. Hide the original bodies
                          6. Go back to assembly, create a configuration for the "Reflected Ceiling"
                          7. Hide the original parts and show the new part.
                          8. In the primary configuration, suppress the new part, this should avoid any performance issues with join when working in the assembly, although the drawing may still suffer since it will try to update.
                          9. New part is virtual by default so no file to manage unless you want to.

It would be nicer if you could just insert an assembly into a part using the Insert Part command....that would be a little more intuitive and be more associative.

Another enhanvement idea is add more functionality to the mirror assembly feature. It works well for adding a mirror copy of parts from one side of an assembly to the other side. but what's missing is the easy ability to make complete left hand and right hand assemblies.