AnsweredAssumed Answered

Response time lag in SW file Explorer Pane - PDMW

Question asked by Daen Hendrickson on Jul 28, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 by Daen Hendrickson

We are using SW2011 SP3.

I have been noticing a response / performance degradation using SW over the past few months. I finally stumbled upon something that affects it and was hoping someone could shed some light on root causes.

Our PDMWorkgroup vault is on a server. It is running at about 20 GB / 70,000 files.

My usual method of working in SW is to open and access files through the File Explorer window in the task pane. This window has my local view on top and the Vault view on the bottom. I have really noticed the lag / lack of response when closing files. It will often take 15 to 30 seconds to close a file - even after a save.

Today I noticed that if I didn't have my working folder opened in the file explorer, the close time for files was about 1 second. I expanded and opened the working folder in the file explorer so I could see the individual files and their vault status icons. Sure enough, the close time for the same files jumped to around 15 seconds.

So my theory is that the handshaking between the vault and the local view to update the status icons is the underlying root cause. Anyone have more insight into this? Would a cleansing of the vault (archiving some older projects) have any affect on this? Other suggestions?

Thanks, Daen

Outcomes