8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 9:28 PM by jay Nachiappan

How to specify contect type

jay Nachiappan

Hey Guys

I am very new to solidwork simulation ,but i have intrest to learn,

I design one conveyor ,it used  for iron ore,

Here i have attached soldwork file and detail picture, i want to know which type of contact type have to apply,where to appaly,and also,where and how  to apply load

to analys this stucture wcan carry the

• Re: How to specify contect type
          Ryan Werner

Hi Jay,

Your model is quite complex to be used for Simulation and will need to be simplified quite a bit before you will be able to get useful results in a timely manner.

Ryan W.

Mark Smith

What type of results are you looking for?  In other words, what are you looking to accomplish from this simulation?

-Mark

jay Nachiappan

I want to know,whether this structure can sustain under defined load or not .other wards what is the maximum load can support this structure.

Mark Smith

Jay,

First, I would recommend that you first take the Simulation tutorial located in the Help tab under Solidworks Simulation.  Those help a lot.

Second, an efficient simulation utilizes engineering knowledge as much as the software itself.  If we all had super computers and $100K simulation software, we might be able to just plug in whatever model with unlimited amounts of complexity and 50 setup parameters and expect a reliable solution in a few hours.  Unfortunately, we have to use Dells with quadcore processors and 12 GB of RAM (if we're lucky). I can count on one hand how many times I've been able to run a Simulation of any kind on the actual model in question without substantially simplifying it or splitting it up into more than one analysis.  Model simplification is very much dependent on the configuration and what you're trying to accomplish so I can't exactly give you the answers for your specific model.  Simulation will take days if the model is too complex, i.e. contains a large amount of parts and features.   Simplification involves eliminating features (fillets, chamfers, etc.) and parts that wouldn't have an impact on the results.  This is where you have to use your engineering knowledge.  For example, trying to find the max load that can be supported by a fixture such as yours, you can start by modelling a simpler version of your design that would include only the structural supports without the individual joints of the truss assembly, which would allow you to see how much weight the actual structural members can bare.  This will tell you the material grade, cross section, etc. that you need for the members themselves.  Then you can model a simpler version of one of the individual joints in a worst case scenario, i.e. a place in the assembly where the anticipated load would be the highest.  Load that one joint and see when it breaks.  Then apply those results throughout the rest of the design.  Depending on how much time you have, run as many of these focused analyses as you can.

To summarize, you'll have to simplify your assembly A LOT.  You can create separate configurations that suppress the features and parts that wouldn't impact the results.  Often times, it's more efficient to create new models that are severely more simplistic than the actual models so you can avoid the pitfalls of complex differences between configurations.  I can say, after seeing your model, I'm 99% sure you'll have to actually make new models to simulate very focused aspects of the design.  Start as simply as possible to gauge how fast Simulation can make the calculations on your machine.  If I were you, I'd start by making a simple truss fixture with setup parameters similar to what you would run on your acutual assembly under test.

Good luck!

Mark

jay Nachiappan

Hi Smith

how  to model  simpler version of my design that would include only the structural supports without the individual joints of the truss assembly ,in here i already have attached my model ,if you able can you simplify it otherwise give some idea.because i don't have idea how to simplify.

thanks

Mark Smith

I tried to download your model, but I have never seen a .RAR file, and apparently SolidWorks hasn't either.

I'm going to be brutally honest...if you have no idea how to simplify your model, this complex model is probably not the model you want to start with when learning Simulation.  Do you have experience with FEA theory?  It helps tremendously to know how the software "thinks" in order to manipulate it properly.  In any case, I'll try to get you started with some recommendations.  Basically, the less features it has to mesh, the faster the calculation time.  In the case of SW Simulation, it could mean the difference between minutes/hours and days for a simulation duration.

Some recommendations for your model:

1.  Replace the hydraulics with simple load bearing members.  You can run a focused simulation on those later.

2.  Get rid of any parts that don't contribute to the structural integrity.  If it's a component that adds weight to the assembly but doesn't provide structural support, model it as a simple weight representative block with its center of gravity matching up to the actual part's your representing.  For example, the motor driving the assembly needs to be replaced with a simple block.  The yellow cart opposite the motor should also be a simple block. 

3.  The center fulcrum support assembly with the wheels needs to be replaced with simple support beams.  There's no need for Simulation to waste time doing calculations related to wheels unless the goal of your assembly is to test the pressure in the tires.

Good luck!

Mark

jay Nachiappan

Hi Mr .Smith

I am beginner in FAE.i know that how to use solid work simulation express. 

Now only  I start to learn static simulation study,

I never try to analyse the whole conveyor assembly ,just i try to know that  whether the hang over structure can sustain under defined load  or not, because,this structure so heavy and 15 meter height ,if the structure fail may happen unwanted human loss .so better i want to know capacity of hang over part.

And also i want to inform you that,here I have attached the hang over part only not whole ass, in attached part i already have specified fixture,conduct type , and load . for additional support reference you can look the attached pdf file.