19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 1:09 PM by Bonnie Caruthers

language issues - some in English, some in Chinese

Bonnie Caruthers

Hi all,

I looked thru past posts but I am not sure that they apply here, but maybe so.

I sometimes get parts, dwgs, from China and the feature manager is all in Chinese.  For the most part it is not a problem because I can scoot thru and highlight and/or see the icon.  However, naming planes can become an issue.

An odd thing is that I just pulled up a part that I sent out (here, in US) that it in a different sub-directory and that fm came up in Chinese.

So, my question is how do I change this?  I read a post by Deepak to go into Options>General and change, but since it is on my machine, and that was installed choosing English, they are grayed out.   Do I just have to live with this - or learn Chinese ?

As you can see, anything I create is in English

thanks,

B

• Re: language issues - some in English, some in Chinese
          Scott McFadden

Hi Bonnie,

I have seen this before on the forum.

Check out this thread

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/19902#19902

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Bonnie,

As some of the other threads have indicated, you need to choose to install extra languages when you install SolidWorks if you want them during install and the languages will only run on an operating system installed in the language (with the exception of English; you can run English on any language operating system).

Even if you did this, SolidWorks does not have any sort of automatic translation functionality that would translate the names in the FeatureManager tree from one language to another. The features will be created and saved in whatever language the user was running in when they made the feature. So, I can't say what is happening to that part that you say you made, but the tree is now coming up in Chinese. I have never heard of that happening and I'm not sure how it could since SolidWorks does not have auto-translation functionality. Are you sure you are not mistaking it for another part that one of your Chinese colleagues either made or edited after you made it?

Thanks,

Jim

Patrick Mahoney

Does anyone know of any third party software out there that works with solidworks to make the translation from Chinese to English on drawings?

Bonnie Caruthers

Hi Jim,

I have not been here for some time and just now catching up on some old threads.  You said...

... So, I can't say what is happening to that part that you say you made, but the tree is now coming up in Chinese. I have never heard of that happening and I'm not sure how it could since SolidWorks does not have auto-translation functionality. Are you sure you are not mistaking it for another part that one of your Chinese colleagues either made or edited after you made it?

If you look back to my original post I note (and in the jpg) that the parts came from colleagues in China, I did not create them - (jpg of FM shows that the features I create, Axis1and after are in English, all before Axis1 are in Chinese). So I believe that a reinstall would be needed and additional languages chosen and then make the change in Options as has been suggested in order to fix this?

thanks

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Bonnie,

It is unclear to me what you are actually trying to achieve. The part you have shown the tree for has the exact behavior I would expect. The features created by your Chinese colleagues on a Chinese OS/SolidWorks installation have Chinese names and the ones you created on an English OS/SolidWorks installation. And it seems this is fine by you and what you expect.

I thought when you said: 

An odd thing is that I just pulled up a part that I sent out (here, in US) that it in a different sub-directory and that fm came up in Chinese.

in your original post, you meant that you pulled up a part that you made on your machine all in English and the tree had switched to Chinese. This I don't believe is possible because there is no auto-translate feature in SolidWorks and what I was referring to in my response. I was suggesting that you confused that part with one that originally came from China. One way to check may be to look in the file properties to see what user name created the file.

Here are the only other things I can think you are trying to do and how you would have to do them:

• If you have any features names in Chinese that you want in English, you would have to manually change them.
                      • If you have any feature names in English that you want in Chinese, you would need to have a Chinese OS, update your SolidWorks installation to have Chinese installed/active, and then manually change the English feature names to Chinese.Note that setting regional settings on your English OS to Chinese might do it, but I don't think setting regional settings alone on an English OS fully gives you everything you need for a Chinese OS.
                      • If you want to create features in Chinese from the beginning, you would need to have a Chinese OS and update your SolidWorks installation to have Chinese and then new features you create will be in Chinese.

If I am still misunderstanding what you are saying or trying to do, can you please clarify?

Thanks,

Jim

Bonnie Caruthers

Hi Jim,

To be honest that was so long ago that I would have to go back into the part/project to refresh my memory, but I think (among my typos ) that I created the part, sent it out and when it came back for changes/work all the features showed up in Chinese.  Is it possible that my colleague (in China) recreated the part on his system and sent it back? I would think if s/he used mine as a base part the features (that I created) would still show up in English. There are many iterations of these parts when they are in pre-release so maybe s/he used another one altogether and sent me that one. I do not know how they have their OS set up re: language.  It is rather a moot issue at this point.

Sorry for all the confusion.  The Chinese features are pesky but I can live with them.  If the above case is what happened I will request they leave my English alone - yeah, wish me luck on that.

Thanks,

B

Brian Hoerner

Hey Bonnie,

I do have this constantly because our partner is in China/Taiwan.  Seems that like was noted earlier that what ever language system you are on will be what is "written" in the FM, this from past experience over the last 2 decades in other CAD software as well, and my previous VAR experience and discussions.

Basically, if your part came back all in chinese, then it was re-created there.  If your parts come back with features that are in chinese, but the features you previously added are stil in your native OS language, like english, then they just edited your part you gave them.

My understanding is that it is what it is and no CAD company has translators that automagically change languages.

Brian

Randy Neumann

I don't have an answer to your problem, but I would like to add a suggestion for others that always suggest first thing to reinstall. This isn't helpful, especially if help is being asked from someone that is not computer savy. 90% of the time, this isn't the solution, and it makes a lot of work for people to reinstall, edit registery, etc.

Carlos Eduardo Ambrosi

Hi Bonnie,

There is a macro that was developed in the eng-tips follow the link:

http://eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=250003

Thanks,

Carlos E. Ambrosi

Dan Miel

You can try this. I haven’t tested it much so hopefully it will work. The program should read the text in your tree and if it finds the text in the first column of the Excel file it will change it to the text in the second column of the Excel file.

Copy the exe and the Excel file to the same directory. Open a part in SolidWorks and then double click the exe file.

SolidWorks 2011 SP5

Excel 2010

Dan Miel