6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 4:38 PM by Steve Krause

Numbering Notes

Steve Krause

I want to make notes with this format  (hopefully as I type the rest here the formating functions in this forum don't mess thing up and confuse things).

NOTES: (UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED)

1. SOME ARE SINGLE LINES

2. SOME ARE MULTILINE SENTENCES

WHERE SENTENCES WRAP FROM THE

FIRST LINE TO THE SECOND AND THIRD.

3. SOME ARE INDENTED CATEGORY TYPE NOTES

CATEGORY ONE

CATEGORY TWO

CATEGORY THREE

4. AND THEN NOTES THAT FOLLOW THE INDENTED SECTION

When I highlight everything except the first line "NOTES...."  and use the "Numbering" function in the text editor I get:

NOTES: (UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED)

1. SOME ARE SINGLE LINES

2. SOME ARE MULTILINE SENTENCES

WHERE SENTENCES WRAP FROM THE

FIRST LINE TO THE SECOND AND THIRD.

3. SOME ARE INDENTED CATEGORY TYPE

NOTES

4.       CATEGORY ONE

5.       CATEGORY TWO

6.       CATEGORY THREE

7. AND THEN NOTES FOLLOWING THE INDENTED SECTION

How can I get the indented items (mistakenly numbereds as 4,5,6) to not get numbered and just be indented?

• Re: Numbering Notes
          Troy Peterson

Here are some help files that may help you;

Notes 01

Notes 02

You will need to change the numbers to bullets separately.

Jeremy Feist

The indent can be addjusted with the two buttons at the end of the fomatting toolbar.

untitled.PNG

ahh. to not have those lines numbered, but to have the numbering to continue...

let SW number all of the lines. then go back and place your cursor between the offending number and its text and hit backspace, followed by tab asa many times as you like.

Steve Krause

Thanks for pointing me to the Formatting toolbar but that doesn't really address the main question that I have: 

Is it possible to put something in some of the indented lines so that they are not seen as lines that should be numbered when I tell all the selected text to be numbered? 

I use MS Word and some other text editors for other things.  A Shift Enter if it was Word.  But it doesn't seem to work the Solidworks text editor.

The work around is to forget about the auto numbering and just type the number of each note which I can easily do but I wanted the notes to be easily renumbered if a user decides they want to add an item to the list in the notes.  Guess that ain't gonna happen.

Jeremy Feist

re-read the second half of my earlier post... deleting the numbering for the lines in question seems to work (other numbers update and update again on future edits).

Jed Wanner

Instead of hitting Backspace and Tab, just position your cursor in the line you want to remove numbers from and turn off the numbering button on the formatting toolbar (third button from right).  Or you can right-click and choose "Bullets and Numbering..." for more options (if you wanted the indented category lines to be A, B, C for example).

I think SW is actually very good for editing numbered notes.  There are many options inthe right-click menu to restart numbering, continue numbering, change numbering type, etc.  Try some of the options in the right-click menu and the Bullets and Numbering... menu.  You should be able to do what you are trying to accomplish.

Steve Krause

Placing the cursor somewhere on the line that I don't want numbered and then unchecking Numbering works very well.  I didn't know that Numbering was working line by line.   (I guess that is what Jeremy Feist meant but I misinterpreted his answer.)

Thanks guys.