8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2015 7:48 PM by Andrew Bonica

Clean removal and re-install

Nayshil Singh

What is the procedure for doing a full or clean un-install of epdm so that I can re-install again.  I have treid this but everytime I re-install, it sees vault's which were previously setup but it's corresponding database is no longer in sql server.  How can I get rid of that vault from the epdm admin tool?  Simply clicking remove will not work as it will try to find the database first. 

Thanks

Nayshil.

• Re: Clean removal and re-install
          Scott McFadden

Naysil,

Welcome to the forum.

How many seats or users have access to the vault?

Are you talking uninstalling on just a user's location or

the server?

Simon Schuck

If its the same problem which I had - removing a previously added vault on a client machine then the error resided within the registry. And that was holding onto the old vault settings.

Selvam S

Hi,

There is no "automatic" method to remove a vault view.   

To manually perform the "complete" uninstall:
              1. Right-click view and remove it.
              2. Uninstall Enterprise from add/remove programs
              3. Delete the Enterprise registry keys.

To perform the clean uninstall via command line script , use a bat file and perform the steps in the following order:

1. Uninstall Enterprise using MSIEXEC /x as described below

To uninstall Enterprise PDM, point to the installer package (of the version being uninstalled), or the product code.

The default installer package name:
              Enterprise 2006-2008 x32: PDMWorksEnt.msi
              Enterprise 2006-2008 x64: PDMWorksEnt64.msi
              Enterprise 2009 x32 and newer: EnterprisePDM.msi
              Enterprise 2009 x64 and newer: EnterprisePDM64.msi

To find the Product Code:
              1. Open the \setup\setup.ini from the install media and view the ProductCode value
              OR
              1. Open regedit
              2. Locate the following key:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
              3. Step through the various installed products until you find the Enterprise product (check the DisplayName value).  The name of the key is the product code.

Enterprise product codes:
              2010 SP0 (10.0.523) x32: {16F15722-95F8-49EB-B3E3-CDB989D92A08}
              2010 SP0 (10.0.523) x64: {3634B20D-CBDD-44F1-BDFE-22664000E2EC}
              2010 SP1 (10.1.616) x32: {9784146C-6817-433B-9AEC-A8E71F623C31}
              2010 SP1 (10.1.616) x64: {B77DF711-FDB9-4D26-812C-02180B56162B}
              2010 SP2 (10.2.714) x32: {6556685F-716C-4C20-A9BA-CC425AFC3F9D}
              2010 SP2 (10.2.714) x64: {81948B4F-9F84-495B-8C30-450C0B6F77D0}
              2010 SP3 (10.3.843) x32: {1F36FB96-9DE6-4C2A-BF92-0ADC4D486879}
              2010 SP3 (10.3.843) x64: {A76D5730-7D74-45A4-9BA3-56BAD738F1EE}
              2010 SP4 (10.4.927) x32: {CCC35F02-88B1-45F2-827F-F90586C63B28}
              2010 SP4 (10.4.927) x64: {6F1D19CD-BC58-4A09-AAD5-839C51EED799}
              2010 SP5 (10.5.1077) x32: {43EEE174-DC7B-4A75-93B6-D6737AE7390B}
              2010 SP5 (10.5.1077) x64: {2BEC610A-B5E4-400E-A8A4-6618E2969305}

Example of uninstall strings (/qb- = no UI dialogs):
              2010 SP5 x32: msiexec /x {43EEE174-DC7B-4A75-93B6-D6737AE7390B} /qb-
              2011 SP2 x64: msiexec /x {F170A21A-2ACB-4C2E-BFC6-813E3A7F491C} /qb-

Attached you will find a VB Script to get the Productcodes into a logfile.

2. Delete the two Enterprise registry keys:
              HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise
              3. Delete the (now orphaned) local view folder.

Keep in mind that this will completely remove Enterprise, so any checked out files to that view will still show as checked out in the database. Please ensure that users check in all files before attempting this.

Joy Garon

Hello All,

I'd like to suggest another step:

To manually perform the "complete" uninstall:
                  1. Right-click view and remove it.

2. From the Admin tool, Remove the vault. (this properly remove the archives and database)
                  3. Uninstall Enterprise from add/remove programs
                  4. Delete the Enterprise registry keys.

Regards,

Joy

p.s. you also want to clean out folder locations to remove files (ie: C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Enterprise PDM)

Also, if on a 64bit machine, you need to delete registry entires in the Wow6432Node (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise)

Nayshil Singh

Selvam,  thanks for the detailed instructions.  I was able to remove the vault by following these steps:

1. Create a temporary vault using the admin tool (different name from the one im trying to remove)

2. Open sql management studio, create a database and name it exactly as the vault name im trying to remove

3. backup the temporary vault database(step 1) we just created in the admin tool

4. restore that backup to the database from step 2

5. back in the admin tool, we can now login and remove the vault since it's corresponding database now exists(this was not possible if the sql database did not exist)

6. remove the temporary vault using the admin tool to clean up

This allowed me to start with a fresh vault and I was able to create a new one and name it exactly the same as the one I just deleted.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Andrew Bonica

I know this is an old thread but I just had to do the same thing and was searching for answers. I discovered the solution on my own without having to do the workaround trick you described, Nayshil. I, too, had a vault that no longer existed in the SQL server but still showed in the admin tool. Several months ago, I made an extra vault (called Default) that was simply an instance of the Default SolidWorks EPDM vault that you can choose when creating a new vault. Unfortunately, I had inadvertently selected the wrong SQL server. About a month ago, that server went off the network to get refreshed (it was my old, old workstation, hence why it had SQL. It had a similar machine name to my current server, hence the accident.) Well, I went to delete the local view of the Default vault from some computers that did not need to see it anymore, and I could not do it, since it did not exist anywhere on the network. Same thing happened when I tried to delete it from the Administration tool.

What I ended up finding through an in-depth search, was the registry entry that populates the list of available vaults in the Administration tool. In your registry, you can go to this location (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Computers\\Archives) and edit the key called Vaults. Just delete the names of the vaults that no longer exist in SQL. Again, this is probably a very rare occurrence, as you would normall delete the vault through the Admin tool and all would be good, but of course, at least two of us have had a reason to do this. Also note the location C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Enterprise PDM\Data which may have folders for vaults that no longer exist as well. Hope this helps!

-Andrew

Andrew Bonica

Just found out you also have to delete the folder representing that vault (if the folder is present) under this registry location. Otherwise, if you go to create a new vault with the same name, it will tell you that vault already exists. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults