2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 4:52 PM by Jason Corl

Property Tab Performance

Jason Corl

I've recenly noticed a huge lag when switching back and forth between open files, and even extended load times of SW files. I've noticed when this happens that the property tab pane is active (expanded or collapsed doesn't make a difference). When I instead change to my WPDM valut view or other tab, the performance improves drastically.

During this slow down I opened Process Explorer (a MS Sysinternals tool) and noticed 30 instances of an EXCEL process running under a SWVBASERVER.EXE process. I noticed that every time I opened a new SW file I accumulated more instances of EXCEL. I have use a single excel document and multiple sheets with defined ranges to populate drop down lists in the property tabs. Its my guess that using the excel option for this is causing the huge load on my system.

My quesion is, has anyone else experienced this same scenario and if so, did using a database solve the issue? Or, what is the most efficient option? I assum storing the values in a list withint the PT builder would be the best but not necessarily the most flexible. Anyone with experience changing the data source, and what that will do to my existing files and the property values?

Thanks for your input.

• Re: Property Tab Performance
          Matthew Lorono

First, you may wish to check with your VAR to see if this is a known issue.  Second, are you running Property Tab over a network?

• Re: Property Tab Performance
              Jason Corl

Hi Matt,

Thanks for responding. I have checked with my VAR but haven't heard back from them yet. Not running over network. The files are stored in Dropbox but its local.

I went through and changed all of the lists to be defined within property tab itself and saw a VERY SIGNIFICANT performance increase. Switching between documents is now extremely fast where I used to have a huge lag, especially if I left the property tab active! Now there's no difference if the prop tab is active or not.

I went back and tried to create a database with all the values to do another comparison however I received an error saying unrecognized format. Its access 2010 x64 .accdb. Do you know if there are compatibility issues with x64 office and property tab? I haven't looked other than asking now.

Another issue I noticed in Prop Tab, when filling in fields from a SW document...I get many "double spaces" when I hit the space bar. It will automatically enter 2 spaces where I only entered 1. It does not happen every time I enter a space, but it is very frequent, so much that after every field entry I arrow back through the entry to ensure there aren't extra spaces. Have you experienced this? Again I did already report this to my VAR but as par for the course, have not heard back from them.

Thanks and hope you're having a good weekend and enjoying the new gig!