11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 3:45 PM by Jeremy Feist

Detail Views

Lamonte Bell

I recently started a new job and the person that has been doing most of the drawings likes to put detailed views on a different sheet than the parent view it references. I'm trying to find out if there is a standard for where detailed views should be in relation to their parent view, on the same sheet or not or it does not make a difference.

Thanks for any help I get on this one.

LaMonte B.

• Re: Detail Views
          Scott McFadden

Hi Lamonte,

Welcome to the forum.

Obviously if the view is connected it is on the same sheet.

I have done it both ways.  Detail view on the same sheet as well as a different

sheet.  But the standard is if it is on a seperate sheet the sheet the detail view

is referenced from should indicate which sheet the detail is on.

I.E.  DETAIL A  (SEE SHEET 3)

Lamonte Bell

Thanks Scott,

Do you know if there is a ASME standard. I have seen it both ways also but it is usually when there is not enough room on a sheet. It seems like this guy just likes to put the detail view on a different sheet regardless if there is room or not. Thanks for the welcome, I've been on the forum for a few years now I just changed jobs and did not see how to update my profile. Let me rephrase that I did not see how to change my work e-mail.

Thanks again for your help,

LaMonte B.

Glenn Schroeder

I have also done it both ways but I have had problems with detail or section views on a different sheet than the parent view.  I would recommend keeping them on the same sheet whenever possible.