7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 9:30 AM by 1-4EQZK9

symmetric loft

Ping Gan

Hi,

I try to create a loft with guide line (see attached), this should be a symmetric loft, but I got this (see Attached below). I really don't know why, may be some option I didn't pick. Anybody can tell me why or how to correctlly create a symmetric loft.

Thank you very much

Ping

Loft Sketch.JPGLofr-3D.JPG

• Re: symmetric loft
          Scott McFadden

Ping,

To assure what you are looking for create the splined curve at all 4 quadrants of the

circle.  Select the other 3 as additional profiles and that should give you what you are looking for.

Ping Gan

Thanks Scott

I have to create another symmetric sketch then add to guide line, any way can get symmetric loft?

Thanks

Ping

Scott McFadden

Ping,

Try copying and pasting the first sketch to the next plane

90° away.  Then to create the third and forth ones mirror the first and second.

The top circle is your guide curve.  You may want to add a circle at the bottom

as well for a second guide curve.

Understand that sometimes you have to create all of this to get smooth geometry.

Ping Gan

Hi Scott

I made a loft using 4 guide curves, the shape of model is very good, it is I wanted. But on the right side of model, the surface spilit to two part, Left side only one surface (see attached), I don't know why it is not symmetric, I use symmetric sketch on both side.

Thanks

Ping

Loft_Sketch.JPG

Loft_Left.JPGLoft_Right.JPG

Scott McFadden

Part of it is you are going from a round to a square.

Looks better though.

I would also suggest that your profile sketches be one segment.

Use the fit spline command to do that in the spline toolbar.  For some

reason if the sketches have different start points or different numbers of segments

this messes with the smoothness of the model surface.

I was just thinking, are the top circle and the bottom rectangle your

profiles or your guide curves?  They should be your profiles.  And use the

fit spline on the square so it is one segment.  Then use the side curves as your

guide curves.

Charles Culp

Ping,

Here is how I would do it. Without a guide curve at all.

CircleToSquare.PNG

Hi Ping,

In addition to Charles method, which is a good way to do it, the key to getting a symmetrical loft, and the edge transistion to occur the way you want it is to first assign 4 sketch points in your circle profile. When you do the bpundary, use "add connector" to snap four connectors to the sketch points that you just created.

Regards

Mark