1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 30, 2011 10:44 AM by Jerry Steiger

Using multiple cores when importing drawings in Solidworks 2010

Joost Kroes

Currently, I'm having a problem with a drawing of a size of approximately 100-200 MB. Loading this drawing and all parts can take up to 10 minutes on a quad-core Xeon machine with 2 threads per machine and ample memory. The funny part however, is that for the loading and processing of the drawing (Up untill the point where I can actually work with it), the machine utilizes only one thread. Is there a way to employ the remaining core threads to speed up this proces? Or is it a physical impossibility, considering that all threads would have to reference the same data model that is being constructed in the memory?

Best regards,

Joost

• Re: Using multiple cores when importing drawings in Solidworks 2010
          Jerry Steiger

Joost,

As far as I know, there is nothing you can do to utilize more cores. SW isn't particularly good at spreading the work out between cores, although I thought that updating multiple views in drawings was one of the areas that it can use multiple cores.

You say "importing" a drawing and put this discussion in Import/Export, but from what you say, it sounds like this is a SW drawing, since you should only have to import a drawing created in another CAD system once. Ami I right in assuming that your question refers to opening a SW drawing, not importing from some other system?

Jerry Steiger