8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 4:10 PM by James Buckley

How to set default view projection?

Alan Langhorn

When creating a new drawing using the default ANSI format, it opens up in first angle projection.  Presently, I have to manually make the change for each sheet under the Feature Manager.

This is getting real old.

Where can I find the default setting so I can change it to third angle (how it should be)?

• Re: How to set default view projection?
          Alin Vargatu

This setting is document specific; there is no global default setting.

The solution is very simple. Start a new drawing and change the angle projection as you did before. Now save the file as a template (select the template file type from the Save As dialog box).

Next time you open a new drawing, start from that drawing template.

James Buckley

Alan:

Here is the best solution to editing  the default configuration of the slddrt files and NOT the drwdot file.  Saving a template does not change the default for the slddrt files.  Here is the link to a pdf step-by-step instruction.

http://www.trimech.com/solutions/acrobat/TemplatesArticle.pdf

James Buckley

Then again, this does not work either.  The <Type of Projection> setting is stored with the template file (drwdot) and NOT the sheet format (slddrt) which is the biggest pain!!!  Because in the USA, we use THIRD ANGLE PROJECTION (are you listening SW), a simple configuration tab other than that in the pop-up edit <Sheet Properties> window will make life & work so much easier.  Now, as so many have suggested to create new drawing template files with the third angle config set and save them, then start a new drawing from opening the template, this creates a whole new set of steps when it comes time to saving the drawing (slddrw) file.  If one is not paying attention you will save over the top of the template file when doing a <Save> or <Save As>, thinking that you are saving as a drawing.  Instead, you will have to browse through your file directory to place the drawing file, where as, when creating a "new" drawing, SW saves to the same directory as your part or assembly.  But, with using the create "New" method, the third angle will never be defaulted.

Either way, one has to make many unnessary clicks for something that should be simple to configure.

Alan Langhorn

James,

Thanks for your replies.  I posted this back in 2011 when I had just purchased SW.  I think there is a disconnect between my generation who grew up on the board and transitioned from imperial 1st angle (British) to metric 3rd angle (ISO) and then came to the USA, and computer jocks, who don't understand the fundamentals of drafting systems.

To me it is clear that if one has the option to choose ANSI when setting up the program for the first time, one has the right to expect the program to default to ANSI's 3rd angle projection system as defined in Y14.5.

Period!

James Buckley

Alan:

Yes, and years later, I am still trying to find a solution.  Moments ago, I stumbled on a solution by Jeff Mirisola which is working.  It just takes some initial time to set up but once you do it saves the hassle of sopping the view creation to adjust the sheet properties, etc. etc.

Here is a link to his comment/answer:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/79990#79990

Create your template with all the pertinent settings. Save as->template. Then save the sheet format. File->Save sheet format. Save it in the same folder as your templates.

Under Tools->Options->System Options->File Locations, choose Sheet Formats from the drop down and add the directory from above.

If there are multiple users in your organization, you'll want the templates and sheet formats to reside on a network drive accessible by all.