7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 11:36 AM by Kelvin Lamport

Toolbars seperation between templates

Bob Jones

I would like to setup distinct toolbar views for each template type.

At the moment when I setup one for a part then change to an assembly and modify it's toolbars it screws up the one in the parts. The positions seem to overlap but not the actual toolbar's themselves.

e.g., if any toolbar exists in both types then they will effect each other.

Seems like a bug but maybe there is a way to force solidworks to handle the situation.

All I want is to not have my assembly toolbars effect my part's toolbars when I move or add them.

• Re: Toolbars seperation between templates
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Bob,

It is not possible to have the same toolbar in a different position OR have different buttons on a toolbar for different document types. The position and what buttons are on the toolbar are only defined once and shared between all document types. The only thing that you can control is the visibility of toolbars between different document types.

I hope this helps you understand what is happening,

Jim

Bob Jones

Then how come when I open an assembly only one toolbar is visible when in a part I have many more?

Kelvin Lamport

Different toolbars can be set to show for each template type, but as Jim stated, a toolbar cannot be set to appear in different screen positions, nor can different icons within a toolbar be shown for different templates.

The same toolbars can be set to show for every template type, but they will always be shown at the same screen location and contain the same tools.

Bob Jones

Thats about as idiotic as it comes ;/  If I can only change the visibility of a tool bar and the position must be kept the same then there is no use of even having the ability to change the visibility because they screw each others layout up.

The more I'm learning about SW the more I realize they skimped over basic UI sensibilities.

Wayne Matus

Why would a user want to change the location of a command from one document type to another? Seams to me like the user would always be looking for a command button. Where is that command button to insert a plane? If I am in a part file, it is upper left corner. If assembly file, its along right side close to bottom of screen.

Bob Jones

It doesn't really matter since SW's doesn't do either one properly. It seems to be mixing them.

In any case I like to have some assembly toolbars for assemblies that are useless in parts. Why would anyone care about having a toolbar that doesnt' work in a parts file active and vice versa?

You should be able to put your common toolbars together in the same position so you don't get "lost" but those that are different can be in different spots.

In any case I'd rather have it one way or another but not some jumbled up mess that SW gives.

Kelvin Lamport

Bob,

So I'm interpreting that you would like to be able to place different toolbars for different document modes (part, assy, drawing) in a common or shared area of the screen, but have them remain contiguous when changing modes ?

OK, that's a fair enough request. You could submit an Enhancement Request for that at the Customer Portal?

What other software have you used which allows the toolbar placement you would like?

Have you tried using the S key shortcut? With some customization it can effectively replace the need for most of the toolbars ... including the Command Manager.