AnsweredAssumed Answered

PDM Workgroup, Manually update library property info in VaultData folder

Question asked by Daen Hendrickson on Jun 27, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 by Daen Hendrickson

I am using SW2011 SP3.

Our librarys are located on a network drive. Our library parts are not checked into the Vault nor are they revision managed.

We have some activity in our company where a non-SW user is reviewing assembly structures in the vault with SW-Explorer. He came accross a library part with some incorrect custom property data. The actual part in the library is correct. The part is used in several assemblies.

The issue is being a library part you can't take ownership in the vault (read only and only a pointer, not a file). No ownership, no ability to edit. I read another post from either Kelvin Lamport or Ken Barrentine that said the only option is to delete ALL assemblies using the offending libary part and then check them all back in to "recreate" the library part data. I don't think that is an option for us.

My VAR confirmed:

Properties are pulled from the actual files when using SW (not the vault). That is why this issue never was noticed in BOMS.

If SW not available, then the properties are pulled from the info in the vault. That is why is showed up for the non-SW user.

The info is written into the vault on the first checkin of the library part. Any subsequent modifications to the part are not rewritten to the vault.

So... although highly UNrecommended (kids, don't do this at home) has anyone had any luck with manually editing the "properties.pdmw" text file for the particular library part in the vaultdata folder structure? Is this the only file to modify for custom properties?

Or does anyone have an alternate method?

Thanks, Daen.

Outcomes