5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 2:47 PM by Jeremy Feist

Custom Materials Database

Darin Schollmeyer

Is there any way to access the material database (located on the EPDM server) to add materials to parts, without having to check out the materials file? Thanks.

• Re: Custom Materials Database
          Scott McFadden

Darin,

The materials data base (.sldmat) should be in the same location

as the install directory for SW.  Unless you have your own.

Do a search in windows explorer and you should find it.

Wayne Matus

If you do have your material database in your EPDM vault, yes you would have to check it out to add a new material to the database file. All users would have to getlatest version on the database to see the new material.

Darin Schollmeyer

I'm not wanting to add a material to the database, just to a part I'm working on. Just don't see the sense in having to check out the database if I'm just reading from it. I suppose it would be to keep you from adding a material to your part that might not be current, if someone else has the database checked out. Thanks for replying.

Scott McFadden

If the part is in EPDM then you ahve to check it out to update the material.

You can check it back in at the same revision level if you need to.

As far as the material file.  If that is in your vault as well then the same thing has to happen

like Wayne described.  But if the material you need is not in your material database

then you need all of the specs like density, poisons ratio etc.

You can edit the material file in MS Word or Notepad, but I caution you that if you

have never done it before, best to look it over first because it is written in code.

With all of that said, based on your last response I am still not sure if you are just

changing the material in a part file or wanting to add a material to your material file.

Which is it?

Jeremy Feist

to add a material, that is present in the database, to a part file the database does NOT need to be checked out. and really should not be.